Poll: Is the LLM ethos and quest for realism influencing how you play other games?
This poll is closed.
Yes, the LLM ethos has overtaken my gamer identity!
100.00%
4 100.00%
No, the LLM guidelines are for FM only.
0%
0 0%
Total 4 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Has your/LLM ethos influenced how you play other games?
06-02-2017, 12:47 PM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2017, 12:49 PM by SackedLlaMa.)
I've been playing a lot of Farming Simulator lately – who knew THAT game would be addictive? – and, as usual I should say, it didn't take too long before I came up with some house rules to make it more challenging and realistic. This morning when loading up the game for some sowing while having my morning coffee, I looked at my notepad from yesterday and felt a satisfying feeling when looking over the weekly budget for my farm that I had written down and calculated, all to see if I would make a profit after the next harvest. 

That's when it sort of hit me; this isn't normal, is it?  Hmm

And so I started wondering if this LLM ethos and quest for realism – and never cheating – is something I do consistently without even thinking about it and when that started. Of course, it depends on the game; some games you can't or don't need to make more challenging or realistic. But thinking through a lot of the games I've played in recent years, I think it has just become a natural part of how I play games. 

I.e. in Skyrim I spent a lot of time finding mods that increased realism like having to stay warm with clothes and fires in colder climates, having basic needs like eating, drinking and sleeping and so on. In Madden I've come up with basically a manual on how to create a realistic training camp in preseason in addition to a bunch of house rules to make the whole franchise mode more realistic.  

Additionally I find myself always trying to start at the bottom of any game I play – like Continental Div in Pro Cycling Manager or starting an "expansion franchise" in Madden or NHL – and always try to limit whatever resources I start with if I think it's going to give me any sort of an advantage. I.e. – to bring this post full circle – Farming Simulator, where I've come up with "Seasons" that last 1 week and I only have one full harvest per week, something that limits my income and allows daily expenses to pile up between payments to such a degree I had to create a budget just to make sure I could actually play this way. 

So, how about you? Has the LLM ethos overtaken your personality – and if so, for what (kind of) games – or are you able to shut if off for any non-FM games?
-------------------------------
Currently mismanaging: Newington Youth
Previous saves: 
The Quest for Working Undersoil Heating
What I Learned at the JD Academy

06-02-2017, 02:27 PM
Always with sports games, and absolutely (is there any other way?) with games like RimWorld too.

Gotta love starting from the bottom / with nothing and trying to make a name for yourself.

Currently managing: Kazincbarcika Sports Club, Hungarian Division I
06-02-2017, 07:50 PM
What they said.
(15-02-2018, 10:50 PM)Rodderas Wrote: Maybe this upset the team? Fucked if I know.

[Image: Ln8uvbH.png]
07-02-2017, 05:15 AM
I voted Yes but this is not completely correct.

As a young kid gamer, I was never into find all the cheat codes and finishing all the games with them, even though my brother and my sons were drawn to that dark side. I have always preferred playing games as entertaining simulations, so have always preferred to play them as realistically as possible. This probably showed through in my favourite games - Sid Meier's Pirates, Football Manager, Silent Service, Gunship 2000, Fighting Falcon, European Air War. So for me it has been the other way around - my gamer personality/identity led me to the LLM ethos.
Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since Football Manager on Commodore 64!

GNU Terry Pratchett
07-02-2017, 06:06 PM
The only game I've ever used cheat codes on is San Andreas, because you've not really played the game if you've not used the jet pack cheat.
(15-02-2018, 10:50 PM)Rodderas Wrote: Maybe this upset the team? Fucked if I know.

07-02-2017, 08:04 PM
(07-02-2017, 06:06 PM)JD95 aka Fidsy Jr. Wrote: The only game I've ever used cheat codes on is San Andreas, because you've not really played the game if you've not used the jet pack cheat.

You sure you mean the jet pack cheat and not the hot coffee one? Mrgreen
WAWAW

[Image: signature.php?uid=14]

07-02-2017, 08:52 PM
...tell me more. Mrgreen

07-02-2017, 09:01 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_Coffee_mod
WAWAW

[Image: signature.php?uid=14]

07-02-2017, 09:08 PM
Mrgreen

07-02-2017, 09:45 PM
There are other games than FM. I don't have enough time to play FM let alone other games!