Quirky rules
16-11-2016, 09:35 AM
So my first FM17 save has bitten the dust due to a bug. I could start again in Norway with the same team, I'm very tempted to do so as I was enjoying the save. However i think it might feel a bit like Groundhog Day for the first season or two.

So I'm going to have a day or two not playing the game, but exploring it instead in order to find somewhere to start a career. I want somewhere that has quirky or odd rules ideally, something that lifts you out of your comfort zone when playing. The best examples of this are probably the MLS or A-League where you have salary caps, draft picks and various other oddities. They're not really LLM though.

Brazil has the state championship system alongside it's usual competitions which is an option but the seasons take so long to get through because of the volume of games.

Does anyone know of any nations that have some odd rules or competitions that I can investigate before starting my career?

Thanks in advance.
[Image: jptykes.png]
"Whattya saying? That you wanna be like me? Don't you understand that I just barely wanna be like me?"
16-11-2016, 09:40 AM
Belgium has an insane playoff system.

I seem to recall something about China and South Korea having caps but looking at those leagues nowadays the caps might be too massive to make any difference...

Currently managing: Kazincbarcika Sports Club, Hungarian Division I
16-11-2016, 03:42 PM
The Belgian system can have two outcomes; either you are the 3rd best team and get beaten by a team that finished 13th but still get into the play-offs, or you are the 13th placed team and scab you're way in Mrgreen
100 years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like; but the world may be a little better because I was important in the life of a child.
16-11-2016, 03:51 PM
Take a look at Serbia. From Wikipedia:

Quote:As of the 2015-16 season, the league reverted to its previous playoff system, whereby the top 8 placed teams compete in the championship round at the end of the season and the 8 lowest placed teams play in the relegation playoff round. The two bottom placed teams are relegated to the second division, the Serbian Prva Liga. The third lowest-placed team is then sent to a relegation playoff against the third-placed team in the second division. Whichever team wins will play in the SuperLiga the following season.
WAWAW

[Image: signature.php?uid=14]

16-11-2016, 05:59 PM
Have a look at this wonderful league table: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016%E2%80...ague_table

You could be in the bottom half and still qualify for the promotion playoffs!
16-11-2016, 06:15 PM
Wait...so I win six and draw three of my first nine matches and top the table. I then proceed to lose EVERY game for the rest of the season and finish bottom...and I can STILL get promoted?

We might have a winner! That's insane.

I'll be looking into these in more depth tonight. Belgium sounds similar to Netherlands. Serbia is interesting and I'm pretty sure I've never played there before.
"Whattya saying? That you wanna be like me? Don't you understand that I just barely wanna be like me?"
16-11-2016, 06:18 PM
Yup, entirely possible! Although now that they have opened up relegation from that league, I'm not sure what the rules say about qualifying for the playoffs and simultaneously being relegated. I'm sure one of them will have precedence.
16-11-2016, 06:22 PM
It could be interesting. Qualify for promotion play off based on early form. Get dumped in a relegation play off due to collapse. Win one to get promoted, lose the other and simultaneously get relegated Mrgreen
16-11-2016, 06:23 PM
The Netherlands is sounding good. Are there any teams in that division that have an interesting back story? Fallen giants? Overachieving, rising minnows?
16-11-2016, 10:03 PM
Hey JP How could you forget Portugal? The Third Division has been revamped I'll let Wikipeda explain it

"The competition format consists of two stages. In the first stage, the 80 clubs were divided in eight series of 10 teams, according to geographic criteria. The only exceptions were teams from Madeira, which were placed in the first series, and teams from the Azores, which were distributed through the latter series. In each series, teams play against each other in a home-and-away double round-robin system.

In the second stage, the two best-placed teams from each first-stage series will be divided in two groups of eight teams, again according to geographic proximity, with home-and-away matches. The two group winners, plus the winner of a two-legged play-off between the two group runners-up, will secure promotion to the LigaPro. To determine the overall division champion, the group winners will contest a one-off grand final on neutral ground.

The remaining eight clubs from each first-stage series will be divided in eight groups of eight teams, with home-and-away matches, but there will be a reshuffle so that teams from Series A, C, E and G ending the first stage on seventh to tenth place will be placed on second stage's Series B, D, F and H and vice versa. The bottom-two teams from each group will be relegated to the Districts Championships. The sixth-placed teams will be paired into four two-legged play-out ties, with the four winners being paired into two further two-legged play-out ties. All six play-out losers will also be relegated."
16-11-2016, 10:21 PM
But playing in Portugal would involve managing and signing Portuguese players...
17-11-2016, 03:55 AM
There are some interesting teams in the Eerste Divisie -- NAC Breda is the "biggest" team in terms of following and in terms of historical significance, although they last won the title in 1921. FC Den Bosch is a former title winner too and has a dragon on their badge. Maybe the pick of the crop is FC Eindhoven, who are both a former champion and a potential "small team comes out of nowhere to challenge much larger club in the same city" story as could try and build them into a club to rival PSV.
17-11-2016, 06:47 AM
(17-11-2016, 03:55 AM)Scratchmonkey Wrote: There are some interesting teams in the Eerste Divisie -- NAC Breda is the "biggest" team in terms of following and in terms of historical significance, although they last won the title in 1921. FC Den Bosch is a former title winner too and has a dragon on their badge. Maybe the pick of the crop is FC Eindhoven, who are both a former champion and a potential "small team comes out of nowhere to challenge much larger club in the same city" story as could try and build them into a club to rival PSV.
You're missing the best part - being able to talk with a fake Dutch accent.

Currently managing: Kazincbarcika Sports Club, Hungarian Division I
17-11-2016, 08:18 AM
I've gone with Almere City, the club is only about 15 years old, has no history and a small ground.

Thanks for everyone's input.
17-11-2016, 08:24 PM
(16-11-2016, 06:15 PM)JP Wrote: Wait...so I win six and draw three of my first nine matches and top the table. I then proceed to lose EVERY game for the rest of the season and finish bottom...and I can STILL get promoted?

We might have a winner! That's insane.

Sounds like one for me. Lol
(15-02-2018, 10:50 PM)Rodderas Wrote: Maybe this upset the team? Fucked if I know.

[Image: Ln8uvbH.png]
18-11-2016, 10:00 AM
(17-11-2016, 08:18 AM)JP Wrote: I've gone with Almere City, the club is only about 15 years old, has no history and a small ground.

Thanks for everyone's input.

The "Artists" Formerly Known As FC Omniworld.

Excellent Smile

GL GL