Quick LLM Question.
29-06-2016, 11:12 PM
Just a quick question for you more experienced LLM people. (Apologies if this is in the wrong place I'm new to the forum)

What are your thoughts on the realism of taking a team from the bottom of a league structure to Champions League winners?

I'm sure we have all read stories of people taking Basingstoke from BSS to CL winners in 10 years. Now I am sure that's either bull or some clever editing.

But....... Would say doing it over a period of 30 years be against the spirit of LLM as its not very realistic?

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk
30-06-2016, 12:29 AM
I have mixed feelings. On the one hand that is the dream; to take a small club, mould it in your image and make steady progress to achieve football's biggest prizes. However, when was the last time that happened? Wimbledon in the late 80s? It's not impossible either in real life or FM but it is improbable - managers move on to bigger jobs and the likelihood of you not being offered a job as your stock rose alongside your league position is unlikely.

That said, maybe you're a loyal manager. Maybe that IS the club for you. I wouldn't knock someone for doing it, especially over 20-30 years which is a reasonably realistic timescale, I guess.
[Image: jptykes.png]
"Whattya saying? That you wanna be like me? Don't you understand that I just barely wanna be like me?"
30-06-2016, 01:08 AM
While it doesn't seem realistic, the fact is its a game - and as long as you play it realistically and to the spirit of LLM, if that's the outlandish and unlikely reward that you get, good on you.

We also have to remember that ten years is a pretty long time. Where was Jamie Vardy ten years ago? He'll be in Europe next year - how would that idea been greeted when he was playing non league? What about Leicester themselves - who ten years ago would say they would have won the EPL?

As I say, it's more about how you play FM in my eyes rather than the results you may or may not get. In my experience you generally don't get those results - I had a particularly good run with Bromley one save but ended up hitting a brick wall in the championship where I simply couldn't get into the top half of the table. The game will often find ways to stop you anyhow Smile

Currently managing: Kazincbarcika Sports Club, Hungarian Division I
01-07-2016, 11:48 AM
There are so many parts of FM that have little basis on realism that to me it doesn't matter how you do it. As for the LLM ideal, as long as you are doing everything yourself, your success is well-earned.
04-07-2016, 09:01 PM
If you think you can stay in the same job for 30 years carry on.....