Ollie's Hell Week 2.0 (October 12-18)
02-08-2015, 12:00 PM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2015, 11:19 AM by SackedLlaMa.)
(For those of you who followed me the last time back in August, thanks for the encouragement and motivation. For those of you who didn't, a description of what this is can be found at the bottom of this post.)

What is it? 
Hell Week is more commonly known in the military. It's a week where the privates are put through a week of mentally and physical hell and usually includes walking for hours and hours with heavy gear, build camps, very little sleep or food and physical challenges to top things of. The soldiers don't know when it ends and many fail to complete the full week. 

The 'civilized' version (if that makes any sense) was invented, or at least designed the version I'm using, by a Norwegian mental coach. Just like in the military you have to push yourself well beyond your limits to be able to complete the week, you're going to be exhausted and still have to work hard and you'll have one night with no sleep. Unlike in the military it does not take place outside, you don't have to walk for miles and you'll get more sleep and food, although you're only allowed to eat healthy all week long. 

At work, or studying in my case, it means cut down on the coffee breaks and chit chat, put in the extra effort, putting away all social media and internet browsing and stay 100% focused and concentrated on work throughout the day. At home it means being the best father, husband, mate you can be, always in a good mood with a smile, always helping out, not shying away from chores or doing that little extra for anyone in your family, even when you're tired and grumpy. When you exercise it means pushing yourself, working out every single day (even the weekend) with two training sessions being extra hard, meaning you push yourself harder than you usually do. 

What is the point?
The point is to do everything you normally do, except there's no gaming or TV watching allowed, only you do everything better than you normally do. It's about going outside your comfort zone, break the daily habits, push yourself and, crucially in my opinion, discover your true potential. 

A military leader once drew up the numbers 1 through 10 on a blackboard in front of his new recruits. He circled the number 4 and told them "this is what you think your potential is." He then circled the number 2 and said: "This is the potential your parents think you have." Then he circled the number 7 and said: "this is the potential we think you have." The point being that even the higher potential that the military leaders thought they had was not their maximum potential. 

A hell week brings that maximum potential out in everyone because you push yourself harder than you've ever done (as long as you don't give up that is) and when you think you've reached the maximum of your potential, you push a little harder and you discover an even greater potential. 

The civilized version tries to do the same thing. It brings out more of your potential; it shows you that you have the strength to get so much more out of your day than you normally do (not speaking to anyone other than me here btw) and as the author and designer of this version of hell week says, nothing is hard or difficult after hell week. What seemed exhausting before becomes so much easier after hell week when you've really felt what hard work feels like. 

At least that's the theory Smile 

How my week will work:

- Every day starts at 6 AM and ends at 23 PM, except Thursday (see below). Hell week starts Monday morning at 6 AM and ends Sunday night at 11 PM
- Each day will have it's own 'theme', a focus area that I will focus on throughout the day and keep in mind for the rest of the week as well. I.e. Monday is about habits and I will therefore find out what habits I have and then focus on breaking the bad habits and creating new good ones.
- Another focus area is my own life; where am I now? Where do I want to be in 5 years? 10 years? What can I do to set myself on the path towards that goal today? What do I want to achieve before I'm retired?
- During the week I'll eat 3 meals a day in addition to two snacks consisting of healthy foods like fruit, vegetables, yoghurt or the likes. All meals will be healthy and nutritious and during the week all crisps, chocolates, soda and so on is banned (even beer!). 
- I'll exercise once a day with two sessions being HARD, meaning I will push myself extra hard these two days. 
- TV or gaming is not allowed during the week, but I have allowed myself the exception of Brann matches Smile 
- Social media is not allowed during work and I will try to limit it to no more than an hour a day, half an hour in the morning and half an hour in the evening. That includes updating this thread once a day to tell you how it's going. 

My 'work'
since I don't currently have a job, my work will consist of studies. 
1) I start school again in August so I will get a head start on whatever books we'll have this year. 
2) Being a film student I will have a 'theme' for the week (which I haven't yet decided), for example a period, a movement or director, and watch movies, read literature and write about that 'theme' throughout the week. 
3) I will also write 2,000 words a day on other writing projects like short stories, novels or articles. 

Thursday to Friday
On Thursday morning I will get up at 6 AM, do everything I do daily the rest of the week (exercise, 'work' and so on) but at 11 PM, when I would usually go to sleep, another 'work' session starts and I will work through the night without any sleep. Thursday's work ends Friday morning at 6 AM when Friday starts. Friday is then a normal day, just like any other day of the week. 

This will be the hardest part of the week. 41 hours (if I can count correctly) without sleep which instead includes two workouts and about 18-24 hours of work. I can tell you already that this will be the toughest challenge during this week. 

I'll update again tonight before I go to bed on my final preparations before the week starts tomorrow morning. I have a lot of planning still to do. 
-------------------------------
Currently mismanaging: Newington Youth
Previous saves: 
The Quest for Working Undersoil Heating
What I Learned at the JD Academy

02-08-2015, 12:07 PM
Best of luck mate. Sounds like a tough challenge!
02-08-2015, 12:17 PM
Hell week, she can be one brutal mistress. However, after you have been there and got the t-shirt, it gives you a sense of self-confidence in what you are capable of, even in the most adverse of conditions. Choosing to do it as a civilian is even harder because you do not have the military instructors pushing you.

Good luck Ole Thup
Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since Football Manager on Commodore 64!

GNU Terry Pratchett
02-08-2015, 12:18 PM
Absolutely mental! I can see the sense of achievement that completing it will bring though.

Good luck and I look forward to reading how you get on (Thursday/Friday will be a proper bitch of a 'day' - sleep deprivation is awful, truly awful and can cause all manner of issues in the longer term [been there, done that, got the t-shirt], even the period you'll experience will be draining given the rest of the week's activities).
[Image: jptykes.png]
"Whattya saying? That you wanna be like me? Don't you understand that I just barely wanna be like me?"
02-08-2015, 12:30 PM
When you say civilised I'm guessing you mean civilian (as opposed to military)?

That is bordering on lunatic though. Good luck.
(15-02-2018, 10:50 PM)Rodderas Wrote: Maybe this upset the team? Fucked if I know.

[Image: Ln8uvbH.png]
02-08-2015, 12:35 PM
Sounds far too much like hard work and too energetic for me. Think I'll pass on that one. I'd much rather just sit and watch some movies all day.
WAWAW

[Image: signature.php?uid=14]

02-08-2015, 05:12 PM
(02-08-2015, 12:18 PM)JP Wrote: Absolutely mental! I can see the sense of achievement that completing it will bring though.

Good luck and I look forward to reading how you get on (Thursday/Friday will be a proper bitch of a 'day' - sleep deprivation is awful, truly awful and can cause all manner of issues in the longer term [been there, done that, got the t-shirt], even the period you'll experience will be draining given the rest of the week's activities).

The Thursday/Friday is the big challenge indeed. If I make it to 11 PM on Friday night I think Saturday and Sunday will fly by. The key, at least for someone like me who hasn't been too active since my final exam in the beginning of June, is to start of a bit easy. I'm not doing one of the hard workouts tomorrow and I'll allow myself to watch the Brann match, which will be the 'reward'. It's important to not start out too hard otherwise I'll give up after half a day. Then from Tuesday I'll step it up. 

(02-08-2015, 12:30 PM)JD95 aka Fidsy Jr. Wrote: When you say civilised I'm guessing you mean civilian (as opposed to military)?

That is bordering on lunatic though. Good luck.

I meant civilian yes. 'Civilized' was maybe not the best term to use Smile 

I do believe us humans have a lot more potential than we ever use so I don't think it borders on lunacy. It'll be a horrible week and I know I want to give up even before starting (I've had second thoughts all day!) but the end result I think will be worth it. As Suzann Pettersen, the golf player, says, 'everybody needs a hell week'. 

(02-08-2015, 12:35 PM)Walks Wrote: Sounds far too much like hard work and too energetic for me. Think I'll pass on that one. I'd much rather just sit and watch some movies all day.

Hard work is kind of the point yes Smile I'm not a hard worker usually but I know (or at least think) I'll get much more out of every day if I put in more of an effort. Hopefully this week can help me achieve that in the future. 
Previous saves: 

02-08-2015, 05:12 PM
(02-08-2015, 12:07 PM)Rodderas Wrote: Best of luck mate. Sounds like a tough challenge!

(02-08-2015, 12:17 PM)kin_lin Wrote: Hell week, she can be one brutal mistress. However, after you have been there and got the t-shirt, it gives you a sense of self-confidence in what you are capable of, even in the most adverse of conditions. Choosing to do it as a civilian is even harder because you do not have the military instructors pushing you.

Good luck Ole Thup

Thanks for the support guys. It will be needed during the week I suspect Smile 
Previous saves: 

02-08-2015, 07:46 PM
Best of luck Ole. Rather you than me. Wink

02-08-2015, 08:29 PM
Hell Week is now planned pretty much although on Wednesday I'll have an hour to review how the week is going and to make adjustments. I'll bet it's not perfect at the moment so I probably have to make a few changes along the way. 

The good thing about being a film student is that I can schedule films to see. That does not mean I'll put on the 6,5 hour long Sátántangó and have a nap Smile Instead I've set a theme for each day of the week and will read in my many books on film about the directors, time periods, movements etc and watching relevant movies. This being hell week, watching a movie means paying close attention and taking notes like I normally do when watching movies, but also include writing about them and connecting them to the history (if I can), so there will be no naps Smile I

'll start with something fun tomorrow (or maybe that's just me?); German Expressionism. I've selected two films, M (Fritz Lang, 1931) and Der Letzte Mann (The Last Laugh, F.W.Murnau, 1924), the latter being more of a Kammerspiel, but hey, I haven't seen it yet so why not. 

As I said earlier, I'll start rather easy on Monday. I have to go to the store and buy healthy food, and I have Brann - Levanger as my 'treat' in the evening. 

Well, I have to do some final preparations and then it's off to bed. Hell week starts 6 AM tomorrow! 
Previous saves: 

03-08-2015, 05:37 AM
Ole,

"WAKEY, WAKEY, HAND OFF SNAKEY!"

As you are a student of film, in the immortal work of Stanley Kubrick . . .

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since Football Manager on Commodore 64!

GNU Terry Pratchett
03-08-2015, 06:44 AM
This all sounds horrific to me. Good luck Ole! Thup
03-08-2015, 09:15 AM
This is my rifle, this is my gun...

Currently managing: Kazincbarcika Sports Club, Hungarian Division I
03-08-2015, 09:19 AM
You're a nutjob, Ole. And I mean that in the most positive way possible. Mrgreen

If you don't mind me making a suggestion: you may want to schedule in an extra meal and snack for the Thursday/Friday stretch. You will burn more if you don't sleep and food will keep you going. Having pulled all-nighters for events, food kept us awake and going. Once we stopped eating, we started to crash and burn. The stretch between your evening meal and your morning meal is a very long period to be active without food.

Good luck, sounds like an interesting experiment/experience! Thup
03-08-2015, 10:06 AM
You should try working for a living, then it's hell week every week Codger 

Still, good luck with the week of watching movies and reading books about movies hell you have in front of you Wink  
"You've got a lot of talent but you fail to see,
You paid for yours, I got mine for free"
03-08-2015, 01:17 PM
Just a quick update (I'll answer comments and give a fuller summary later tonight);

Everything's going well so far. I'm in a very good mood despite knowing that I'm tired. I can assure you of one thing though; If I hadn't started this thread and had all of you comment and wish me luck, I would've given up at 6:10 AM when I was sitting on my spinning cycle trying to wake up, and dived straight back into bed Smile
Previous saves: 

03-08-2015, 01:45 PM
I probably would've given up at 6am when my alarm went off tbh, so fair play. Thup

I probably would've had to buy a new alarm clock as well to replace the broken one. Mrgreen
03-08-2015, 02:08 PM
My alarm goes off at 6am every morning. Gives me about 45 mins to shower, get dressed and have a cup of tea before I have to leave for work
WAWAW

[Image: signature.php?uid=14]

03-08-2015, 03:04 PM
My alarm used to go off at 6am (that is 0600 hours for those doing hell week Wink ) every morning, but I came to a realisation 2 months ago . . . I do not need to do that any more, so I now have sleep in until 7am which means that I usually get out the door by about 8.30-ish to get to work at 9am.

GNU Terry Pratchett
03-08-2015, 03:50 PM
I get up at 8:20, leave home at 8:55 and arrive at work at 8:58. Mrgreen
(15-02-2018, 10:50 PM)Rodderas Wrote: Maybe this upset the team? Fucked if I know.

[Image: Ln8uvbH.png]