That other SI game aka Eastside Hockey Manager
06-05-2015, 03:43 PM
So, starting a thread for this brilliant little hockey game which, despite still being in beta, makes EA look completely incompetent when it comes to making hockey games. 

The interface and everything about this game is very familiar for us FM players; 

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

[Image: ss_4a9c3819a29b64836b7f1082c3879e5b5a009...1430481947]

It's a bit overwhelming at first, especially if you're not all that familiar with hockey in general, but the good thing is that you can be just the GM, meaning you hire a head coach to take care of training, tactics and playing the games for you, which is what a GM should do in my opinion. What's left for you to focus on is making sure the head coach has the best squad available at all times; that means scouting and drafting, signing free agents and making trades. You also have to control the finances (even though that's not a big feature), make sure you have the right personnel and so on. It's what you would've done if you were the sports director instead of manager in FM. 

Being just the GM is a ton of fun (actually having the opportunity to fire the head coach!) and the seasons go by at a nice pace since you don't have to watch and play 70-100 games a season. It also means you can blame the head coach when things go wrong Tongue 

I'm currently about to start my 3rd season with the world famous Sarnia Sting in the Ontario Hockey League (a Canadian junior league). This being a junior league, I draft 15-16 year olds, have a window between 16-20 years of age where they can actually play for my team (age restrictions) before they're either too old or have been drafted by NHL teams. It's quite the challenge to put together a team that can fight for the trophy when you have such a small window of opportunity. A lot of planning is required, great scouts and good drafting coupled with some smart trades. I'm looking forward to seeing someone I drafted as a 15-16 year old being drafted by an NHL team, so that's appealing to me as well Smile 

So far we've made the playoffs both years, although in our league only the bottom two are left out. In season 2 we made it all the way to the western finals where we lost in overtime in game 7   Banghead  and missed out on the conference final (which decides who wins the OHL trophy). But that said, we had the highest win percentage of all Canadian junior teams (all 60 of them) that season so we had a good year. 

You don't have to be an expert to play this game as you can hand over all the tactical stuff to your coaching staff. If you like the sound of just being the GM and building the team, the game is cheap and constantly improved on, even though there's not much left to fix. It's what EA would call a masterpiece. Well worth the money Smile 
-------------------------------
Currently mismanaging: Newington Youth
Previous saves: 
The Quest for Working Undersoil Heating
What I Learned at the JD Academy

06-05-2015, 04:36 PM
Looks like a fun thing to try out some time. Not sure if the whole drafting shenanigans will do my head in though.
06-05-2015, 05:10 PM
Draft is fun! You get to choose your future players and Real Madrid can't take them away from you! Smile
Previous saves: 

07-05-2015, 12:47 AM
SI 2-0 EA
07-05-2015, 09:05 AM
Oh by the way, if you do buy it, don't start unemployed. For some reason it's impossible to get a job that way at the moment. It'll probably be fixed in an upcoming patch.

Stil highly recommended though Smile
Previous saves: 

07-05-2015, 09:52 AM
It's only pre-release at the moment right? Bugs are to be expected. That one is a bit daft though! Mrgreen
07-05-2015, 10:43 AM
Yeah it's still beta and this is one of the few issues still to be fixed. So is a pretty darn good beta Smile
Previous saves: 

21-05-2015, 07:53 PM
For you brits; Eastside Hockey Manager just made British leagues 1 and 2 playable!
Previous saves: 

22-05-2015, 11:25 AM
There are British ice hockey leagues? Wink
22-05-2015, 11:56 AM
(22-05-2015, 11:25 AM)keefa Wrote: There are British ice hockey teams? Wink

[Image: jptykes.png]
"Whattya saying? That you wanna be like me? Don't you understand that I just barely wanna be like me?"
22-05-2015, 12:59 PM
A workmate of mine used to play in the British Leagues. Found that random fact out the other day.

Currently managing: Kazincbarcika Sports Club, Hungarian Division I
21-10-2015, 01:05 PM
This available on steam or elsewhere? Interested in any sports sim that lets me GM. NBA next please SI Smile
21-10-2015, 04:18 PM
(21-10-2015, 01:05 PM)AnalogBoy Wrote: This available on steam or elsewhere?  Interested in any sports sim that lets me GM.  NBA next please SI Smile

Available on Steam yes
Previous saves: 

21-10-2015, 05:00 PM
Is it any good even if you don't care about hockey?
(15-02-2018, 10:50 PM)Rodderas Wrote: Maybe this upset the team? Fucked if I know.

[Image: Ln8uvbH.png]
21-10-2015, 07:37 PM
I didn't think so. Had nfi what I was doing our why.
"Whattya saying? That you wanna be like me? Don't you understand that I just barely wanna be like me?"
21-10-2015, 07:50 PM
I didn't understand any of that JP Mrgreen
Previous saves: 

21-10-2015, 08:37 PM
He's from Barnsley - I'm sure he gets that a lot. Wink

I wouldn't have thought so JP.
(15-02-2018, 10:50 PM)Rodderas Wrote: Maybe this upset the team? Fucked if I know.

[Image: Ln8uvbH.png]
21-10-2015, 08:50 PM
(21-10-2015, 07:50 PM)SackedLlaMa Wrote: I didn't understand any of that JP Mrgreen
I didn't think so. I had no f*?@ing idea what I was doing or why.

21-10-2015, 09:59 PM
Mrgreen
Previous saves: 

21-10-2015, 10:53 PM
Bit like JD in football manager then?