Video Games Don Bradman Cricket
08-11-2014, 02:30 PM
Finally picked up Don Bradman Cricket 14. Apparently the initial version had a few issues but in terms of this PS3 game with the latest updates... It's brilliant. It's really, really involved for a cricket game. I love the bowling system, having to time your jump and arm as a pace bowler, and you just have so many options that it's a very, very welcome break from the recent EA cricket games.

Honestly the best cricket game I've played since Cricket 02 and it's a far better game than that. Just plain fun for a cricket fan!

There's nothing better than roughing someone up as Mitch Johnson from one end then taking out their middle pole with a lovely swinging medium pacer at the other end.

Currently managing: Kazincbarcika Sports Club, Hungarian Division I
08-11-2014, 02:36 PM
Yeah, I might ask for that for Christmas as I was waiting for the price to drop, but it was still up around the £45 mark when I last looked.
08-11-2014, 03:03 PM
It's on my Steam wishlist, but I'm waiting for the price to drop as well. Still can't decide whether I want to get it for PC or PS3 though.
WAWAW

[Image: signature.php?uid=14]

27-12-2014, 01:39 AM
(08-11-2014, 02:30 PM)f1dave Wrote: Finally picked up Don Bradman Cricket 14. Apparently the initial version had a few issues but in terms of this PS3 game with the latest updates... It's brilliant. It's really, really involved for a cricket game. I love the bowling system, having to time your jump and arm as a pace bowler, and you just have so many options that it's a very, very welcome break from the recent EA cricket games.

Honestly the best cricket game I've played since Cricket 02 and it's a far better game than that. Just plain fun for a cricket fan!

There's nothing better than roughing someone up as Mitch Johnson from one end then taking out their middle pole with a lovely swinging medium pacer at the other end.

Got this for Christmas and I have to say that it is the best cricket video game I've ever played. It is just so realistic how hard it is to read the delivery when batting, and play the correct shot to the ball. The AI also seems to be really intuitive in setting fields based on your strengths, as I cover drive a lot with my career mode player, and they set fields accordingly.
28-12-2014, 02:57 PM
Have been playing Don Bradman Cricket 2014 career mode for the past couple of days, and it's tough!

You start as a 16 year old aspiring cricketer, and you choose what kind of player you are (opening bat, occasional off spin was my choice). You can net to build up your skills, as well as improving them during matches, but man is it tough. During my first season I scored just 2 50's, in my second season I scored an 80-odd and thought I had cracked it, but now teams have changed how they bowl at me so I'm finding it difficult again. Really impressed with this game so far, even if there are a few little things that do annoy me.

I stand by my original opinion that it is the best cricket video game ever. If you like cricket and fancy a challenge, get it, it is worth the money Thup
28-12-2014, 03:18 PM
It's been on my Steam wishlist for months, really must get it soon.
WAWAW

[Image: signature.php?uid=14]

28-12-2014, 06:23 PM
You're doing well to score any fifties! I'm a right hand bat, slow right arm medium, supposedly batting all rounder but it's my shithouse bowling that justifies my place in the side at present rather than my 13 run average!

03-01-2015, 04:27 PM
Downloaded Bradman on the 360 yesterday and have played about 4/5 hours so far. I think amateur level is about right. I have taken a total of 4 wickets in 3 match, but have scored just 21 runs in 5 innings!!! Very frustrating to bowl and bowl and bowl then last 1 ball in bat!!

Still, I think its one I'll get plenty of play out of. Finally a cricket game where you feel that you are more than just a pre-set animation. I actually feel that I can set up a batsman to play a certain way and then it's down to my skill to deliver the ball I've been setting up for.
100 years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like; but the world may be a little better because I was important in the life of a child.
03-01-2015, 05:26 PM
Sounds like my experience to a tee Mrgreen

Batting is far less pressurised in the T20s of career mode I find, as you can flail away for a quick 20 off 8 without worrying about screwing your team up by giving your wicket away. The domestic four-day matches however... ugh! I once lasted 64 balls for 2! I won so many XP for blocks that when I finally tried an aggressive drive along the ground, I was caught behind!

03-01-2015, 05:37 PM
It's so bloody frustrating. I was scoring 20's/30's and then getting out n both 4 day and 40 over games, and then the T20 season comes along and ruins the momentum I had. By the time I get the hang of the T20 season, that's over and I have to go back to the 4 day and 40 over format. Gaaah!

Great work by Big Ant, it is the best (or most realistic at least) cricket game ever.
03-01-2015, 05:48 PM
Bowled round my legs. That is all. Mad
100 years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like; but the world may be a little better because I was important in the life of a child.
03-01-2015, 07:43 PM
So, this evening I have taken a career best 3-26 and a 38 in a pro 40 match, earning me MotM. That said, I did run out my skipper on 80, another batsman later on, and myself Giggle
03-01-2015, 09:01 PM
My greatest achievement is helping Marcus North to his 350* in a Sheffield Shield game... By hanging around for 7 at the other end after coming in with the team at 4/600 Mrgreen

04-01-2015, 12:54 PM
So definitely not the type of game for someone who has throw-the-controller-at-the-wall rages over FIFA? Mrgreen
(15-02-2018, 10:50 PM)Rodderas Wrote: Maybe this upset the team? Fucked if I know.

[Image: Ln8uvbH.png]
04-01-2015, 01:56 PM
Absolutely not! You might well throw the controller at the TV more often than you hit the ball Smile
04-01-2015, 02:01 PM
But still fewer than the amount of new FM saves I'll start over the next year. Mrgreen
(15-02-2018, 10:50 PM)Rodderas Wrote: Maybe this upset the team? Fucked if I know.

[Image: Ln8uvbH.png]
04-01-2015, 07:32 PM
Hmm, I have switched the batting camera mode to "Pro", which is in the first person, and so far things seem to be much better than in the third person view. Mainly you can see the length of the delivery better because your batsman isn't in the way!

I did try the running camera on Pro as well, but that was difficult to see where fielders were and when they had the ball in their hand!
05-01-2015, 11:56 AM
I stayed up way later than I should have last night testing out the Pro Mode camera, and I have to say that it doesn't make the game any easier, but it does make me play more like I do when I'm actually playing in real life.

I was also reading on PlanetCricket that they have tested the game with Oculus Rift and that they are more than satisfied with the results. I can imagine that making it even more realistic, apart from the lack of pain when you get pinned, of course Smile
05-01-2015, 06:04 PM
One thing we haven't discussed is bowling in the longer form of the game - I find you have to be on your toes all the time (especially given my bowler's lack of relative skill at the moment) because otherwise that maiden you've worked so hard for can be thrown away in an instant with a no-ball because you've lost a moment's concentration and timing. I love that about the game!

05-01-2015, 06:13 PM
I never get called upon to bowl in the longer form of the game. From time to time I get the chance to bowl in T20s, and even more occasionally in the 40 over game. My player is a spinner too, so I don't think bowling a no ball is an issue for me Mrgreen

One of the things that has annoyed me is that I'm bowling quite nicely and restricting the runs, when the skipper changes the field to be more attacking and suddenly they can plunder runs really easily. Bloody skippers!