PC Parts and Advice Thread
11-09-2018, 12:44 AM
There are also plenty of youtube instructional videos that will show you how to open the PC case and physically install a 2nd hard drive (SSD and HDD use the same physical connections).
Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since Football Manager on Commodore 64!

GNU Terry Pratchett
17-09-2018, 04:10 PM
What's the best way of moving Win 10 from an HDD to a new SSD? I'm thinking a fresh install of Win 10 on the new SSD and then move everything I can from the HDD to the SSD and the formatting the HDD afterwards? Or is there a better way? I know I can clone it, but I would prefer a fresh install of Win 10 and I have almost 900GB on the HDD and only 500GB on the new SSD..
-------------------------------
Currently mismanaging: Newington Youth
Previous saves: 
The Quest for Working Undersoil Heating
What I Learned at the JD Academy

17-09-2018, 07:26 PM (This post was last modified: 17-09-2018, 07:27 PM by Wolve.)
You don't happen to have an external drive? Otherwise, you can get an empty external bay and then plug it in as an external USB drive for fairly little if you can't have both hard drives in at the same time.

A new drive is always a good opportunity for a fresh install of course!
17-09-2018, 07:53 PM
The best solution I've seen so far is: 
1. unplug the HDD (I'm guessing physically from the motherboard?)
2. boot up and install win 10 on the SSD
3. plug the HDD back in
4. Copy everything I want to keep from the HDD to the SSD
5. format the HDD

Will that work or will there be some issues trying to boot up with both discs plugged in and with windows 10 installed on both?
Previous saves: 

17-09-2018, 08:46 PM
Should work. If you can get into the BIOS then you can set the boot order to be absolutely certain, but no it should be fine. Though to be honest the external caddy is probably the better idea if you're just looking to copy shit over.
(15-02-2018, 10:50 PM)Rodderas Wrote: Maybe this upset the team? Fucked if I know.

[Image: Ln8uvbH.png]
18-09-2018, 05:11 AM
Where do you install steam and games? Is there any benefit from having games on the SSD other than loading times? The SSD will probably full up fast but I can put the games on the SSD and a lot of the bigger files, mods and so on on the HDD?

Sorry about all the noob questions but I appreciate the help!
Previous saves: 

18-09-2018, 05:48 AM
I think it's not possible to save mods on different place than games. Buy bigger SSD or add one Mrgreen
18-09-2018, 05:34 PM
(17-09-2018, 07:26 PM)Wolve Wrote: You don't happen to have an external drive? Otherwise, you can get an empty external bay and then plug it in as an external USB drive for fairly little if you can't have both hard drives in at the same time.

A new drive is always a good opportunity for a fresh install of course!

Is this what you had in mind for a simpler solution? 

1. Save what I want from the HDD to an external hard drive 
2. Complete re-install of Windows 10 on the SSD, formatting the HDD in the process
3. Done? 

Could it be that simple?
Previous saves: 

18-09-2018, 07:27 PM
You don't need a third storage device. You can buy something the HDD will slot into and connect to your PC via USB and you can copy your stuff over that way. Then format the HDD.
(15-02-2018, 10:50 PM)Rodderas Wrote: Maybe this upset the team? Fucked if I know.

18-09-2018, 08:13 PM
Thanks JD, that's indeed what I meant.

Depending on what type of drive it is, you need some kind of hard drive USB adapter, which is a fairly bare bones version of a full casing and all.

If you have a spare external drive, that's even easier.
18-09-2018, 08:18 PM
Yes, I do. I've moved what I want over (which wasn't too much after all..) so now I just do a clean install of Win 10 and format the HDD in the process?
Previous saves: 

18-09-2018, 10:34 PM
If you're sure you've backed everything up, just format both so you have it all nice and clean. Then make sure to install windows on your SSD, not on your old drive! Wink
19-09-2018, 04:04 AM
Will do, thanks for the help Smile
Previous saves: 

19-09-2018, 11:31 AM
Delete *.*

Mrgreen
19-09-2018, 02:46 PM
Amateurs . . .

Format C: /P:2

Wink
Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since Football Manager on Commodore 64!

GNU Terry Pratchett
19-09-2018, 02:51 PM
Apologies for the delayed reply but it has been a busy week.

If you have not set up the SSD as yet, your other option is to use a program to clone or image your HDD across to your SSD (ie copy everything across if your SSD is big enough), once you have swapped the SSD in as your boot drive then you can re-format the HDD as a back-up drive or as a media/document storage drive.

GNU Terry Pratchett
19-09-2018, 04:51 PM
If you happen to have a raspberry pi lying around you could potentially home-make a NAS as well...

Raspberry pis are fucking ace.

20-09-2018, 06:51 PM
Anybody know how to get Steam to download faster? Usually (on a good day) Steam downloads at at least 2-2,5 mb/s but now I'm only getting between 700-900 kb/s (even when I run Steam as administrator which someone said would help, but it didn't). It's gonna take days to download my games again after reinstalling Win 10...
Previous saves: 

21-09-2018, 07:20 AM
Wierd... internet operator problem?

What internet connection do you have?

I have 4G mobile (50mb/s max) and steam dl is steady 5mb/s.
21-09-2018, 03:06 PM
I have 30 mbits/s which should give me at least around 3 mb/s when downloading
Previous saves: