Rocking all Rover the World
21-12-2018, 01:03 AM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2019, 10:42 PM by JD95 aka Fidsy Jr..)
Stockport County - National League North, 2018/19

I chose this team basically because the managing director where I work is a County fan and thought it'd be a laugh, basically.

I was tasked with making the playoffs, getting to the first round proper of the Cup and also of the Trophy. So, with a healthy bank balance of about £200k which is fucking monopoly money at that level, I decided to go full Current King of the Jungle and take a "shit or bust" approach to my budget management and put together an expensively assembled squad to do the job.

Early on I struggled badly for form, in the lower reaches of the table come September and even hearing calls for my job that early on. Then it seemed the way I wanted to play finally clicked with the frauds I'd been left with and away we went. I thought we'd just be in the chasing pack as the top two had a then-six point lead over everyone else, but by December we'd clawed our way into contention for the sole automatic promotion place. At this point, my leading scorer Frankie who I'd signed in the summer was already on 18 goals for the season, which helped no end, but they were raining in from everywhere. Even my fullback chipped in with a fair few from his set pieces.

After Christmas (and the January window isn't a thing yet - you can sign players up until some time in March at this level) we really put the foot on the gas, leaving favourites Chorley for dust. Well, I say for dust, we opened up a seven point gap and at times it dropped to four, at times it went out to ten, but we were comfortably in control for the second half of the season and won the league with three games to spare. I did have one of the higher wage budgets in the division but as we all know that guarantees nothing. We did however rack up our record points and win tally. Mrgreen

Cups - I made it to the 1st Round of the FA Cup where we faced Oldham. A late equaliser at Boundary Park saw is bring the Latics back to Stockport, where they'd inflict the same upon us and put us out on penalties in front of a sellout crowd. I made it to the fourth round of the Trophy where I played a second string that lost 2-0 to Alfreton, choosing to concentrate on the league at this point.

Major surgery will be required if we're going to compete - not to the first team, but to the supporting cast. Frankie won POTY and the top scorer, he'll be more than good enough for the National League and he'll either go for big bucks (relatively speaking) to a League club wanting to take a punt or spearhead the attack.

Stockport County - National League Premier, 2019/2020

I kept largely the same squad, to begin with anyway. Managed to secure some real quality on free transfers, quality that could either be sold on or make a step up in time. All I had to do to keep the board happy was stay up, which I thought would be a simple enough task.

We got off to a flying start, and we quickly pulled away with the front runners. Then we hit top spot in November and never looked back, apart from weeks where we'd been playing in cups and had to make up the games. Absolutely pissed it. We broke our winning record again, broke our and the league's goalscoring record and equaled the league's winning record, broke our and the league's record points tally and just fucked up what came our way, basically. All while playing part time, as well. 

Of course the fact that I'd been doing well financially played a big part - you can buy players right up until the end of March, and so I was constantly upgrading and bringing in new players swapping out the players that could no longer cut it gradually rather than wholesale changes, which I think helped my cause. I've got some very good prospects in the squad who were capable of playing in the League at the beginning of the season - and now they'll get to.

Also made FACR1 - drew fucking Oldham and lost at their place, no replay this time. I got to the FA Trophy final but lost in extra time to Leyton Orient. Bastards. 

I reckon I'll have enough to keep our heads above water next year, but it'll be interesting to see where we can go from here...

Stockport County - Football League Two, 2020/21

I was handed a reasonable warchest to upgrade what on paper - according to my staff (we'll come back to this) - was a very capable League Two squad. Spunked half of it on a left back that my scouts raved about (again we'll revisit this), some on a few future 'stars' (lol) and the rest I put towards two or three free agents that were meant to be fairly major upgrades.

Early on in the season, we raced away with the leading pack and I thought we were perhaps on for three promotions on the spin, even being as high as 2nd some weeks. We were scoring goals at a rate of knots and we were defending staunchly. Then we got found out, badly. And I realised - and apparently so did my backroom staff - that the players weren't as good as what I thought they were. I barely had a first XI of League Two standard players. We fell from 5th in October right down to 17th where we ended up finishing because the board wouldn't back me. In hindsight, that move was probably for the best, as the squad would have been absolutely murdered in League One had we done the unthinkable, but it was very frustrating only being able to loan in the dross no one else wanted. 

It was also highly concerning how hard wins were to come by, though not surprising when I took into account the standard of player I actually had. The majority of my signings flopped, though the players I had last year on loan and managed to keep on loan didn't do badly at all. I flogged a couple of young guns for relatively big bucks in January, though I wasn't allowed to spend any of the money. 

Out of the League Cup at the 3rd Round thanks to Fulham, Sunderland put us out of the FA Cup in FACR2. Didn't care about the Football League Trophy, so I played a (somehow even worse) team of kids and reserves in the group games and we finished bottom. Shame what they've done to this competition...

So aye, fucking wank season considering the start - which is probably what saved us, really - but realistically, we probably deserved to finish lower with the squad I had. I was only asked to consolidate and before we kicked a ball in anger I was only really expecting a bit of a struggle. Again, major surgery required. Not sure I'll get the backing to do it though as we're now running fairly deep into the red having to pay full time wages these days...
(15-02-2018, 10:50 PM)Rodderas Wrote: Maybe this upset the team? Fucked if I know.

[Image: Ln8uvbH.png]
21-12-2018, 06:50 AM
Well done JD, but where's P45's???

Does the former JD exist anymore?

KUTGW!!! Mrgreen
21-12-2018, 08:23 AM
WHS^

No sackings, two promotions?! Amazing work and I'm looking forward to seeing how you get on in League 2. Sounds like it'll be the biggest challenge you've faced so far with this team!
-------------------------------
Currently mismanaging: Newington Youth
Previous saves: 
The Quest for Working Undersoil Heating
What I Learned at the JD Academy

21-12-2018, 08:47 AM
Great start JD, but I am looking forward to seeing those wheels fall off and you somehow ending up at a club you despise Mrgreen

KUTGW Thup
21-12-2018, 03:46 PM
I'm so confused...

But, kutgw
21-12-2018, 05:44 PM
Lol bastards, the lot of you. Mrgreen
(15-02-2018, 10:50 PM)Rodderas Wrote: Maybe this upset the team? Fucked if I know.

21-12-2018, 07:03 PM
Has your account been hacked? Do I need to reset your password? Mrgreen
WAWAW

[Image: signature.php?uid=14]

21-12-2018, 07:26 PM
Mrgreen

Well, my preseason team meeting went well...

25-12-2018, 02:22 AM
Stockport County - Football League Two, 2021/22

Okay, so. I have to be honest, this was a very fucking weird season. 

I pissed off the entire team by saying I thought we'd finish midtable. Weird, considering last season, and the fact that I hadn't at the time of the meeting added anything significant. I did spend £80k (raised through sales of course...) on an Irish centre half from the National League who was way too good for that level, and he slotted in nicely. I also signed Cider. I'll speak more of him lately. And a few other kids released from elsewhere, some were shite some did well.

Anyway, onto the season. Raced out of the blocks again. Great, I'm wrong, we're going up. Then, of course, it happened. Wheels fell off around late September, already. Shit. 11 game winless streak, board refused to hand me any more money for wages. So I - while not abandoning my newly found footballing principles - have a bit of a shuffle on the pitch, I kick the fuck out of the players on the training ground and we then go on a 12 game unbeaten streak and by the end of January we're on the coat tails of the top 7. Cider is absolutely pissing it at this stage having hit 20 goals in the league alone before Christmas. 

In January, I brought back from the cold a striker who actually lead the line for us last season who got pushed out by Cider, to provide cover for and in the end partner him. I also sold a couple of the kids who did well for relatively large amounts of money for us. We were in the shit and I had older, slightly less good but not bad players to replace them already. There was another interesting development in January I'll come onto. Onto the football, well, it took us until the final day to seal it mathematically and we did fuck our chance of pushing for the top 3 a few times before we ultimately fucked our way out of it and had to settle for playoffs, but it was a wild ride. 

In the playoffs, we faced Gillingham, and having finished 6th to their 5th we played the first leg at Edgeley Park where we ran out 3-2 winners. We got fucked 5-3 in the second leg, so no Wembley trip for us. But I didn't care. Because, well, now for the interesting development. Doncaster were struggling in the league above, and they'd noticed my good run... and, well, I was never going to say no, was I? I managed to get them to agree to me finishing the season in Greater Manchester, obviously, but I'll be joining them in the summer.

In the cups. Well. We made it out of the Football League Trophy groups. To be put out by fucking Oldham. Dagenham & Redbridge dumped us out of the FA Cup at the first chance and we lost to Accrington Stanley in League Cup round 2.

Don't care about the squad anymore as I'm off but they were nowhere near good enough, Cider carried us. 51 in 55, 45 in 46 in the League. Most goals in all competitions, best rating, most MoMs, second most assists (another player in my team got most assists in the league too). What a fella. On a free too. Though I might try my hand at activating the release clause in his deal...

25-12-2018, 02:29 AM
Oh that was a scoring (and the assist fella got a team record too) record for team and league.

25-12-2018, 11:15 AM
Wow, that was an action packed season. Great work uncovering a talent like Cider for free, and good luck getting him over to Donny.

KUTGW Thup
27-12-2018, 08:48 AM
I am enjoying your good ride! KUTGW!
27-12-2018, 08:52 AM
Nice work earning a gig at a higher level! Well-deserved considering all you've achieved with Stockport so far. Hope you can bring Cider along with you! KUTGW!
Previous saves: 

30-12-2018, 08:26 PM (This post was last modified: 30-12-2018, 08:33 PM by JD95 aka Fidsy Jr..)
Doncaster Rovers - Football League One, 2022/23

I was offered the job part way through last season, but I wanted to finish the job I started at Edgeley Park, so I decided to put the job I badly wanted on hold until the summer. Probably for the best as they were languishing in the lower reaches of the table, but did go on to survive.

Anyway. I did manage to sign Cider for a fee of £150k, a release clause I was anxious to avoid including in his contract, funnily enough... I also brought with me my assist machine and I signed up a couple of good quality kids, a young former Arsenal midfielder on a free from Brentford and a now ancient former Watford centre half.

I implemented the same style of football I had played at Stockport and we raced away. It seemed to get the best out of a reasonably average squad, along with Clown, a quality striker at this level and real fan favourite, who would go on to break records. We were in the title running come December, and ourselves and Peterborough broke away on our own a little bit going into the new year. I didn't make any major signings for actual cash and we shunted out a few frauds (managing to get a fee for them all as well) which thinned things out a little. I did manage to pick up a couple of absolute monsters of midfielders on a free just after the window ended, and they slotted in nicely. Over Christmas we had a bit of a dodgy spell where my two senior keepers were crocked, but we navigated it with just one defeat. Cider took a while to feel his way in at this level but he came good in the end.

So, as I said. Peterborough and ourselves broke away at the top. Only, March time, we both stuttered badly, and the top six concertinaed quite a bit, to the point that come April there were four points from 1st to 6th. We were top at this point, having missed several chances to pull away from the pack, though we properly properly fucked it including a draw away to Rotherham and a defeat at home to Sheffield Wednesday. The wheels fell off completely. I was fucking livid. We went into the final day of the regular season with an outside shout of landing the trophy or at worst 2nd, but playoffs were guaranteed to be heading our way. Coventry and Colchester (who ended up champions) who had a vastly superior GD and points tally to us quickly took that away from us as they took an early lead in their games and I stopped paying attention after that - we drew anyway so it was irrelevant... Lol   On the other hand, Peterborough fucked it even worse and didn't even finish in the playoffs.

I couldn't buy a win in the run in and I was dreading what was to come. Reading were our opponents after our 4th place finish. An early lead at the Madejski set us up nicely, and we added a second before half time. A Reading goal just after the hour mark took the shine off a good display but we took a 3-1 lead back to the Keepmoat Stadium. An early red card for the away side set the tone in the second leg and a rocket from the former Arsenal man flew in minutes later. A second followed ten minutes on and a third on the hour mark closed the scoring, but Christ they were dirty bastards. We would meet Charlton at Wembley after a 6-1 aggregate win but do so without an important midfielder who picked up an injury in the second leg. 

In the final, the Addicks scored early on and I feared the worst. Fuck all happened for ages apart from a Charlton penalty - which they missed - and then on 80 minutes, the guy I shoved on to replace the misfiring Clown went and equalised. Then put us ahead, but it was ruled out for offside. A red card in extra time meant I had to shut up shop and hold on for dear life, with Charlton hammering on the door by this point. They took the lead just after half time in extra time via an own goal, though with us throwing the kitchen sink at it after this Cider set up the goalscorer to equalise again. I decided rather than settle for a potential shootout to just go for it, and Cider managed to slide a great ball through for his partner's hat trick in the 119th minute. Championship, here we come. 

Cups sucked arse. Out in FACR2 to Salford, out in the second round of the Football League Trophy to Lincoln in a shite game and the League Cup saw us exit in Round 3 at the hands of Fulham. 

Clown broke the club scoring record, won the golden boot and Cider hit a fair few himself while topping the league assist chart (and breaking a club record apparently), and we also broke the cards received record which was nice. We just blew up in the end though. Totally dried up in front of goal for no apparent reason. Perhaps it was the intense style of football I played that left the players fucked, but they didn't seem to be too fatigued. I didn't have a plan B so that is something I'll need to work on in future. Cunts.

30-12-2018, 08:29 PM
Of course, that squad was only ever meant to survive. Now I've got to compete in the Championship with one of if not the lowest budget with a squad that's fucking miles away. Smile

30-12-2018, 10:07 PM
Well done on the promotion. Good luck in the Championship, I hear that's a proper tough league! Wink

KUTGW Thup
30-12-2018, 11:10 PM
Mrgreen

Genuinely think it'll be my first backwards step (which is code for we're going to get fucking relegated in last place and the entire team will hate me).

31-12-2018, 07:15 AM
What's wrong with FM19? Mrgreen

JD snatching up promotion after promotion... soon he'll be playing champions league Mrgreen

KUTGW!
31-12-2018, 10:45 AM
That's one hell of a final! Congratulations on another promotion and good luck in the Championship with a tiny budget. Are you only aiming to survive or does the board want more?
Previous saves: 

31-12-2018, 10:55 AM
That's amazing! kutgw