Football Sage advice requested on Canberra bid for A-League expansion licence
12-07-2018, 04:03 AM
Ok gents, I have a conundrum that I need assistance in solving.

As you know I have been a fan and member of the Newcastle United Jets FC for 10 years. They are one of two soccer football clubs I actively support, Arsenal FC being the other one (this is because they were the first team I picked to managed when I played Football Manager on the Commodore 64 back in the late-1980s).

Football Federation of Australia (FFA) is currently in the process of expanding the A-League. The Canberra bid has been shortlisted to be part of this expansion. The Canberra bid is calling for Foundation Members (https://www.cbrregionaleaguebid.com.au/). I am conflicted, as a Canberran I want to see a Canberra-based team in the A-League but as a Newcastle Jets supporter I am not sure I can change allegiance or split my allegiance between the two teams in the one competition.

Your thoughts and sage advice would be appreciated . . .
Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since Football Manager on Commodore 64!

GNU Terry Pratchett
12-07-2018, 06:26 AM
I think you should not support club just because it's your city club. I still support those teams that I have supported from my childhood.

TBH, I don't understand those who say that you have to support your home/birth city teams no matter what. Just follow your heart IMHO.
12-07-2018, 08:58 AM
Go to both? At least you'll have local football now!

Currently managing: Kazincbarcika Sports Club, Hungarian Division I
12-07-2018, 02:41 PM
I didn't switch to WSW when they joined. Probably a poor decision in hindsight.

Or not. Their fans are a bunch of dickheads.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Currently Managing:
BKV Norrtälje
13-07-2018, 12:47 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. Yeah, I was never tempted by switching to WSW even though I grew up there, simply because it was always going to attract that dickhead element as a major part of its fanbase.

My heart says to stay a Newcastle Jets member, I have been through thin and thin with them for the last 10 years, with last years runner-up finish being the only small bit of joy in what has been a very tough 10 years of dodgy owners, unsettled coaching staff and squads. However, if I ever hope to actually attend a Newcastle Jets game in person then the best bet would be to have Canberra "United" (or whatever the franchise ends up being called) added to the A-League which would mean that there should be a Canberra "United" vs Newcastle Jets game played here in Canberra at least once a season. So from that point of view it probably would be a good idea to become a foundation member of the Canberra bid to help them get the numbers to bolster the bid's chances of securing an A-League licence. This would probably mean that I would have to pay for the first year of membership if they were successful. I am not sure how many games I could actually physically attend due to family commitments and then drop the Canberra membership after year one. In the meantime I would maintain my Newcastle Jets membership as well. I guess I will have to crack open the piggybank to see if I can afford it.
Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since Football Manager on Commodore 64!

GNU Terry Pratchett