[FM18 logo] Everybody's got a Hungary heart
14-05-2018, 02:24 PM
Wasn't sure about FM18 when I got it. I wasn't feeling the first couple of saves; the new (for me) UI was too noisy and I couldn't get a feel for things in and out of games. Took a bit of a break, tweaked some settings, selected some new countries and pressed random and hey presto...

FM18, all leagues loaded and playable in: Austria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Hungary, Italy, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia.

2017/18
NK Novigrad
Croatian Second League

Media: Mid table
Board: Top half of league, 2nd round of cup
Finances: Okay

Squad
The squad was very light at the start of the year, and I had room in the budget to mould it. I was able to convince the board to let me spend 230K (after rebalancing the budgets) to bring in 5 players in total. I was going to rely on a few talented looking youngsters to fill out the squad, although annoyingly the board had loaned out the three best prospects at the club to other teams two weeks before I was hired - and no recall clause was included.
In: 5 @ 230K
Out: 1 @ 0K 

League
The start was solid, the middle was pretty mediocre, and then the way home saw us get on a good run. Really the league was a four way dogfight between Dinamo II, Solin, Sibenek, and (somewhat surprisingly) us. By the end of the year Dinamo pulled away and the rest of us were left to scrap over the 1.5 promotion spots, seeing as Dinamo themselves couldn't get promoted. It came down to the last day - we needed a win to guarantee a playoff spot, Solin just needed a draw to keep us at bay and finish second. As it turned out, we won, Solin lost, the two teams behind us won, and we secured automatic promotion while Solin slipped all the way to fifth. Their manager was promptly fired.

Stats
Croatian Second League: 2nd: 17-8-8
Croatian Cup: 2nd Round
Top scorer: Metronome (STC) with 12 in 22 games
Best player: Metronome (STC) with 7.24 in 22 games

Misc
* To celebrate the unexpected promotion, the board promptly closed the stadium to install 3000 seats. Bringing the seating capacity to... 3000.
* The Croatian Cup was, quite ridiculously, won by a Third Division side that had a pretty soft run all the way to the final two games - one of which they won on pens and the other through an extra time boilover.
* Our leftback won goal of the year with an absolute thunderbastard from miles outside the box
* I picked up Manager of the Year. Take that, annoying guy from Dinamo II!

---

2018/19
NK Novigrad
Croatian First League

Media: Relegation
Board: Avoid relegation
Finances: Okay

Squad
Using up our league "winnings" I added a Ukranian CB, a Japanese midfielder who could literally play anywhere forward of halfway, an experienced Croatian DM and a flying left winger from the Croatian Cup winners whose squad everyone in the First League seemed determine to raid. Only 4.4K came in from sales, but enough players left on frees to balance the books.
In: 4 @ 99K
Out: 7 @ 4.4K 

League
The season doesn't begin wonderfully, and it's soon pretty clear that ourselves, local Istrian rivals Istria 1961, and former mid table side Slaven Belupo are all desperately trying to avoid the drop zone. We're just scraping by above the other two sides in early season before a whole bunch of takeover speculation hits, which seems to have a destabilising effect - especially when its so timed that I can't reinforce my squad mid-year. A new owner is rumoured to be ready to write off all debts; the takeover happens, and said new owner promptly says there will be no new investment into the club - and then takes out a large loan. Sigh. We're soon struggling in last, but an excellent 1-1 draw with leaders Rijeka at home gives us a fillip and boosts us to 2nd last at the end of the season. We face Solin in our relegation playoff - their LB promptly gifts us a beauty of an own goal and we never look back, winning 4-1 on aggregate. Survival!

Stats
Croatian First League: 9th: 7-9-20
Croatian Cup: Quarter Finals
Top scorer: Pinot Grigio (RW) with 10 in 34 games
Best player: Pinot Grigio (RW) with 7.00 in 34 games

Misc
* In the end, the relegation fight was ridiculously large - a full five teams were involved and could have been relegated with four games remaining. That's half the bloody league!
* Our new stadium wasn't ready for 2/3rds of the season. They only had 3000 seats to install. What on earth were they doing in that time?

---

2019/20
NK Novigrad
Croatian First League

Media: Relegation
Board: Avoid relegation

Squad
Aware that I had to start reining spending in a little, we mainly used frees and loans to pad the squad out this year. New defenders were an absolute priority after last season and we got a Hungarian CB from the Slovenian First League and a Red Star Belgrade Under 21s CB in to pair with him. We also got a Serie B side Salernitana's backup GK on loan which proved an inspired signing as the season went on.
In: 8 @ 32.5K
Out: 7 @ 15.75K 

League
It would be an understatement to say we had a poor start to the year. At the midway point we were rock bottom by 2 points and even hapless NK Zagreb were above us. The centre pairings were just not working, this despite Pinot Grigio out wide proving to be an outstanding First League RW. There was also the small problem of injuries, with my best striker out for six months and at one point three of his backups also out with injuries. In the end it was an unfancied young winger who got a go up front - and he responded with five goals in seven games! We would dramatically right our season from there on in, and in the end climbed well away from any relegation fight. With a couple of extra wins, we could have even been in the conversation for the last Europa League spot. A very satisfying run home to say the least.

Stats
Croatian First League: 6th: 11-10-15
Croatian Cup: Quarter Finals
Top scorer: Pinot Grigio (RW) with 15 in 37 games
Best player: Pinot Grigio (RW) with 7.13 in 37 games

Misc
* Injuries were absolutely ridiculous this year; I was paying the price for changing fitness coaches to a supposedly 'better' one.
* Players also hated tactics coaching, and told me repeatedly. I've no idea why, can only assume there wasn't enough star power provided by the coach involved - or maybe was just a dick. Who knows.
* I escaped without the dreaded questioning from the board during the bad run, but players were pretty vocal about their concerns. A couple went so far as to complain about me to the media. They won't be here next season...
Currently managing: Kazincbarcika Sports Club, Hungarian Division II
14-05-2018, 08:22 PM
Sounds like a very solid start. Could Europe be on the horizon maybe?
(15-02-2018, 10:50 PM)Rodderas Wrote: Maybe this upset the team? Fucked if I know.

[Image: Ln8uvbH.png]
15-05-2018, 05:53 AM
Nice solid seasons, going higher all the time! KUTGW!
15-05-2018, 08:42 AM
Upwards and onwards! kutgw
15-05-2018, 08:46 AM
"Promotion!!...we better install some of those... Seats!"

Great start and fun story. KUTGW!
-------------------------------
Currently mismanaging: Newington Youth
Previous saves: 
The Quest for Working Undersoil Heating
What I Learned at the JD Academy

15-05-2018, 11:09 AM
I suspect working undersoil heating is out of the picture Mrgreen

Good thing the league's winter break is longer than the off season!
15-05-2018, 01:09 PM
Mrgreen If you need undersoil heating, I know a guy. Or five. Not guaranteed to be in working condition Smile
Previous saves: 

16-05-2018, 12:50 PM
Great start Dave!
03-06-2018, 01:02 PM
2020/21
NK Novigrad
Croatian First League

Media: Lower half
Board: Mid table
Finances: Insecure

Squad
Money was a real problem, and there wasn't really any funding to build the squad out. In fact, it would need to be a selling season. A Hungarian side gave me a paltry 15k for my backup keeper and a rotational DM, and then a few more left on frees or loans. I brought in two youngsters on free transfers with some of the wage savings and then added three more players on loan, with the Serbian-Brazilian CB from Red Star rejoining for another year's loan.
In: 5 @ 0K
Out: 6 @ 16.25K 

League
The story of this year was getting absolutely belted by the big two of Hadjuk and Dinamo, struggling against Osijek and Rijeka, and then generally being better than most other teams. A very good start to the year including a draw with Hadjuk gave us brief hope that we'd challenge for a European scrap or two. Unfortunately, that wasn't to be as the mid-season 3-0 and 4-0 scorelines at the hands of the big two would prove. We'd go out of the cup 2-0 at Inter Zaprecic in the quarters, and generally have a rubbish last third of the year- only climbing back up the table with 5 wins in the final 6 games, but by this time the very creditable 4th place we'd achieved meant absolutely nothing and was miles away from the top three. That said, we did finish above Osijek who had finished fourth for the last four years running. This season was definitely a step forward but it also proves just how far away the top three are.

Stats
Croatian First League: 4th: 15-10-11
Croatian Cup: Quarter Finals
Top scorer: Pinot Grigio (RW) with 14 in 35 games
Best player: Japanese AM (A LCR) with 7.20 in 29 games

Misc
* Dinamo and Rijeka have shared the spoils with 2 titles each in the past 4 years; this was a Dinamo year with Rijeka a distant second.
* Our monetary situation saw this our wage budget cut this year; and at the end of the season the board announced another cut was on its way. 
* The only teams with lower wage budgets than us were the two promoted sides; their fortunes were mixed, with Sibenek impressing and staying up by virtue of finishing 7th, while Vinogradar were miles off the pace and finished rock bottom with -44 GD.
* The board finished the year by offering me a new contract - with a wage cut of 40%. I was happy to take a wage cut to help the club out, but that was way too much of a hit to ask of me. They wouldn't meet my 20% wage cut offer, the talks broke down, and it remains to be seen whether we'll speak again...

As it turned out, we didn't have long to wait.

I approached the board about a new contract a fortnight later, and they said they wouldn't be handing out any new deal until my old one expired. I pressed them, they refused. The media got wind of me not receiving a new contract, I gave them an honest answer, and the chairman summoned and fired me.

Fuck you, guy.
03-06-2018, 07:44 PM
Dick. You'll get something better. Mrgreen
(15-02-2018, 10:50 PM)Rodderas Wrote: Maybe this upset the team? Fucked if I know.

04-06-2018, 06:00 AM
40% is unacceptable, well 20% is also Tongue

You did the right thing, KUTW.
11-06-2018, 01:11 PM
2021/22
SV Horn
Austrian First Division

Media: Top half
Board: Top half

Squad
Very silly squad. Teams in the First Division (second tier) can only field 3 foreign players in each game, but we have 7 on the books. A number of them are dramatically overpaid too. None of them seemed particularly impressed with my appointment. I signed a couple of loans and the season would see some movement out the door to bring money in.
In: 3 @ 0K
Out: 3 @ 350K

League
In the first half of the season, things were going okay. The board loved me but unfortunately the players seemed to hate me. The aforementioned foreign players in particular weren't happy sitting on the pine and started to white-ant me. In an effort to reassert some discipline in the locker room I struck back by transferring three of them. That shut up a couple of the rotational players who wanted gametime, but it backfired spectacularly as the squad started to lose faith in me when results went south. After the winter break, we were still mid-table but with a squad that doesn't like the coach the board told me to fix things or go. I only won one in the next four games and they told me to get a taxi.

Stats
Austrian First League: Sacked while 10th: 7-3-10
Austrian Cup: Second Round

...a period of brief unemployment followed with a number of unsuccessful applications. However I did manage to find a job the next country over, with an interesting little prospect.

2021/2022 (Part II)
Kazincbarcikai
Hungarian Division II

League
I managed two games, I picked up 3 points, and I learned enough about the squad to know I had a decent base but needed to blood some youngsters - especially with the "two U21s in the starting XI" rule this league has. But that's okay, I'm all about bringing the youth through.

Stats
Hungarian Division II: 10th (my record: 1-0-1)

Misc
* Novigrad went through 2 managers after me and finished 3 points away from relegation. No regrets, I'm sure.
11-06-2018, 05:39 PM
yay?

02-09-2018, 04:04 PM
2022/2023 
Kazincbarcikai
Hungarian Division II

Media: Bottom Half
Board: Mid-table

Squad
Had a trigger-happy back office, with a Director of Football who kept bringing in players for the second team "for squad depth" and insisted on filling it up with absolute garbage. In the end, I had to start rejecting his signings. For my part, I added an Austrian RB and Croatian CB, and then took a chance by forking out 70K on Hoffbrau, an Austrian RM on the reserves team of a First Division side.
In: 10 @ 120K
Out: 10 @ 12K

League
A league of three thirds. The first was a great start, where we overcame early struggles to win regularly and climb into the top six or so sides in the league; although the top four teams seemed a hell of a lot better than us. The second third saw us hit a bit of a quagmire, where the wins became draws and the losses became more regular. A change in tactics saw us turn this around though, and in the final third of the season we went unbeaten - culminating in a 15-game unbeaten streak that broke a club record and saw us rise all the way to third on the table. We finished well behind the top two promoted teams, but being "best of the rest" was good enough for us this year and made the board give me a new contract.

Stats
Hungarian Division II: 3rd: 18-12-8
Hungarian Cup: First Round (awful, don't ask)
Top scorer: Mertz, a loanee striker with 14 in 30 games
Best player: Bench, our star CM, with 7.18 in 36 games

Misc
* Hoffbrau ended up being a good buy. Aged just 19, he filled one of the two mandatory U21 slots each week quite easily.
* I won Manager of the Year again - hey, it wasn't just a fluke!
* I told the board I'd blood youth and have done just that - apart from Hoffbrau I've got a pet project at LB and a talented CB on the fringe of the first team, as well as a loan AMC I'm trying to make permanent.
* Novigrad are now an established mid-table team in Croatia.
* Aims for next year will be to remodel the backroom staff (assistant is garbage) and maintain better pressure on the top two, while blooding more kids for the future. Nothing difficult then...
02-09-2018, 09:27 PM
Nice job with Kazinxcrasxzcfrsjxcd! Did you struggle with your strikers since the RW was your top scorer? Hope you can get closer to the top two next season and launch a serious promotion challenge. KUTGW!
Previous saves: 

02-09-2018, 10:26 PM
Do the teams coming down typically bounce straight back or were they just particularly strong this year?

03-09-2018, 10:13 AM
(02-09-2018, 10:26 PM)JD95 aka Fidsy Jr. Wrote: Do the teams coming down typically bounce straight back or were they just particularly strong this year?

The bottom teams in Division I (which is half the size of Division II I notice!) do tend to yo-yo a bit. But looking back over prior years, some do take a couple of seasons to get back up to the top level. We'll just have to take advantage of one of those weak years...

(02-09-2018, 09:27 PM)SackedLlaMa Wrote: Nice job with Kazinxcrasxzcfrsjxcd! Did you struggle with your strikers since the RW was your top scorer? Hope you can get closer to the top two next season and launch a serious promotion challenge. KUTGW!

The RW wasn't the top scorer, but yes the striking situation is a bit of a concern. Mertz was a loan, so was Tiber (the second, more injury-prone striker) and also the AMC sitting behind. I'm pretty happy with my back half of the park (our keeper set a clean sheets record for the league) but I really do need to build up some striking power of my own - the players at the club when I arrived were a bit naff, and the director only added to that with another three two-star strikers.
03-09-2018, 10:41 AM
My bad! Read through the entire thread to jog my memory and managed to get Pinot Grigio mixed up with your current team somehow (maybe you should look into signing him!). Being sold defensively is a great foundation to build on so I hope you find that goalgetter.
Previous saves: 

26-11-2018, 03:46 PM
2023/2024 
Kazincbarcikai
Hungarian Division II

Media: 4th
Board: Top half

Squad
With a couple of youth prospects showing promise, including young LB Blazer, the aim of the game this year was to add some quality to bring the squad up a notch or two. I brought in a young Czech striker, Nightmare, for a 70K outlay, and spent around the same amount mid-season on an talented young CB and 20K on an experienced RB to shore up the defence. The Director of Football then decided to bring in another six players on free for absolutely no reason at all, and I promptly used only one of them (sparingly) throughout the year. I also offloaded plenty of dead wood.
In: 9 @ 160K
Out: 7 @ Free

League
Really encouraging start to the year showed we'd be more competitive than the board thought. They wanted top half, but for the first half of the year we were actually fighting for top of the table. Nightmare and his strike partner, loanee Tivo, cut defences up for fun. As such, the board challenged us to finish "near the top" during winter break, and I chose to add some depth to defence to try and ensure this. We kept up the good form until about 12 weeks to go, when all of a sudden Tivo, Nightmare, and their backup striker all went down with a series of injuries. As they worked their way back, we then had the devastating blow of Risotto, our Italian keeper, fracturing his arm. He would be out for 8 weeks, with just a 19 year old understudy to step into his place. It had a bad impact:
[Image: TeCQ5mc.png]
It might not look like much, but in this brutal league, only 2 of 20 get promoted, and if you finish 3rd you get nothing. Third is where we'd end up, with some horrible losses away at really weak teams sealing our fate late in the season. We did beat the top of the table side with two games to go to get a little pride back, but ultimately the season left a sour taste. Cups sucked, with the 3rd best team in the nation knocking us out in the second round.

Stats
Hungarian Division II: 3rd: 19-10-9
Hungarian Cup: Second Round
Top scorer: Nightmare, with 18 goals in 31 games
Best player: Strike partner Tivo, with 7.22 in 30

Misc
* Hoffbrau wanted away when we didn't get promotion, but I think I've talked him around due to the togetherness of the squad
* Tivo might be difficult to keep - I think his parent club has actually realised he's a good player
* Sharks are circling around two of my better midfielders, which presents an interesting off-season challenge.
* Meanwhile, I've absolutely learned my lesson. We need more depth, especially between the sticks.
26-11-2018, 09:13 PM
Yay?