Update for FM'14 Rodderas and FM14
11-02-2018, 01:51 PM (This post was last modified: 11-02-2018, 02:19 PM by Rodderas.)
Introduction:

I feel like I perhaps have lost my way a little with FM, always trying to rush through the seasons, and not really taking the time to absorb the mechanics of it all. I intend on taking my time, and just enjoying the game.

I decided the best place to start was to ask Paco. Where else would you go? He at first tried to send me to Italy, but I convinced him that I'd been there before, and I didn't really like it. So, he packed me off to Denmark. Vanlose……. to be precise.

Season 1:

First things first..... I scoured the team. First, B and under 19s. There seemed to be a lot of greys.... We’re an amateur club, and the wage budget is £ 0 p/w with a transfer budget is £ 0. I don't really know what I have got myself into.

Some players are not going to fit in to my way of thinking, but when I'm not paying them it seems a bit harsh telling to leave the club, so I stick them in the B team (If they’re not there already).

Next up.... Looking through the staff I think it's fairly clear I don't need a head of youth development, and he mutually agrees. All the staff in general seem pretty poor, but I'm going to see how we get on. No point in parting with a shit scout only to replace him with something similar.

A brief overview, finances are in the black by £ 5k, but are not likely to stay that way. Stadium is very poor, but the pitch is perfect! We have basic training and youth facilities.

Pre-Season:

I signed a new keeper. The two that I had were awful to say the least. Our scout found an eccentric 26 year old sweeper keeper. He’s very eccentric! I liked him immediately. He signed on an amateur contract just like everyone else.

A new young DC joined the ranks. He looked like a good addition to the squad.

With the pre-season friendlies over I can't say I was overly impressed with the team. We only managed one victory, and that was far from convincing. I can only hope the league form is much improved.

League part 1:

It was obvious after only a couple of games that the squad I had was not going to up to much. Whenever our scout had new reports I scoured over them in the hope of finding a potential improvement in any position. He turned up with a new DR. 23 years old, so I hope that not only will he strengthen the squad he'll also improve over time.

At the start of September I was given the news that we'd set a new record for losing. Six games without a win. The following game was against fellow strugglers GVI, and I had high hopes of getting something from the game. We were far from perfect, but we managed to scratch out a 2 - 0 victory away from home. This cheered me up no end. To my surprise in the subsequent news item the fans "expressed their conviction that the current manager is doing a good job". We'll see how long that lasts!

We ambled along in a shambolic fashion, and I was glad when the winter break came. With only two wins, two draws and eleven defeats to our name we were rock bottom of the table 3 points adrift of the nearest opposition.

Winter Break:

Serious reinforcements were required. I’m not a fan of bringing huge amounts of players, but I figured there was little else to be done. Without a serious change in form we’d be relegated anyway.

In total I signed 7 players during the winter break. A 30 year old DL to replace our rather useless captain. A MC who looked like he would jump straight in to the first team (not too difficult to be honest). 3 DC, one to step straight in to the first team and two for backup, and finally two young strikers in an attempt to bring more goals to the club.

With all these new signings I set about arranging some friendlies to have a look at the new players before the league started up again. We were woeful!

League Part 2:

To my surprise the team performed much better when they kicked off after the winter break. I had spent a good while tinkering with the tactics, and we put together a good set of results that saw us climb to the heady heights of 12th in the league. I can’t really put my finger on when it started, but it wasn’t long until the wheels started to fall off again. With only 4 games remaining we fell back in to the relegation places, and there we stayed. It came down to the final game of the season with us requiring a win, and Svebolle needed to help us out by either losing or going for a draw. Svebolle held up their part of the bargain with a 0-0, but unfortunately we could only manage a 1-1 draw ourselves.

[Image: 25330382757_9e867896ac_z.jpg]

End of season thoughts:

I’m fairly saddened by the relegation. I was just getting in to the swing of things, and I can’t help thinking that maybe we had performed more consistently in the earlier parts of the season we would have been OK.

Off to the job center then.

Season 2:

I found employment in Sweden, and with plenty of time before the new season to get everything in order. My new club…. IFK Ostersund.

With a media prediction of 13th position and relegation I didn’t hold out too much hope. The team didn’t inspire me with a great deal of confidence either. It consisted of mainly greys.

The club itself had very basic facilities (much like Vanlose), and had no youth prospects just now, or in the foreseeable future.

I did not want to make the same mistakes as last year, so I set out trying to improve the team as quickly as possible. I brought in a total of 12 players, and let 5 go.

Pre-Season:

I was relatively happy with the friendlies we had. Although we were far from brilliant we did manage a couple of wins against similar opposition, and I felt that perhaps I had assembled a squad that might just scrape through the season.

League Part 1:

My word we were bad… The league whipping boys for sure! In the first 8 games we managed just 2 draws before the board called me in for a polite word. I was given five games to turn things around, and although we did manage our first win with a further 2 draws I was sacked for under performing.

[Image: 25330382297_71bd0b2332_z.jpg]

End of Ostersund thoughts:

I was slightly disappointed with the sacking, and I can’t help thinking the board perhaps had unrealistic expectations for team. That said…. I’d not really felt any great connection with the club, so I wasn’t really sad about leaving.

Interlude:

It’s here I fell out touch with FM yet again. The save file was last modified 27th of February 2017. Not to be loaded up until 27th of January 2018. I’ve read through all my notes, and it’s not surprising really. I have much less spare time these days, and I’d rather be out on my bike than playing this. It is today rather windy though, and I have the day off work. Off to find a new job.

League Part 2:

I found employment rather quickly. In Sweden again. This time in the 2nd division west with Assyriska BK. They were sitting in 12th position just above the relegation proper.

The team looked as poor as usual with plenty of greys, but I didn’t rush into purchasing too many players from the off. We played really well for my first game in charge, so I was filled with a little more confidence than my previous two jobs.

We didn’t continue brilliantly, and I slowly brought in a few players at a time. Basically trying to fill the gaps as and when I felt I had noticed one. In total 9 Players were brought in over the following weeks, and I continued to try and get the team to play constructively.

The league seemed very tight, and we yo-yo'd in and out of the relegation places. When we dropped to 13th position with just two games to play I thought that perhaps it was not to be. Playing Torslanda who'd been top of the league for the majority of the season did not fill me with too much confidence, but we beat them at their ground 2-1 and never looked like struggling. It all boiled down to our last game against Savedalen we needed to win to guarantee a place in the league next year. We won 2-1 and I feel the league table does not convey quite how close it all seemed.

[Image: 25330382577_184d29dee2_z.jpg]

End of Season thoughts:

I’ve really enjoyed this season with Assyriska (maybe because I've not played FM for so long?), and I’m looking forward to perhaps improving things next year.

Season 3:

Pre-Season:

I set out sorting the team in to something more of what I was after. In total I let 7 players go. They were either shite, greedy or both. In replacement 6 new players joined the team. Mainly backup to the existing players, but a promising ST and WB looked set to become first team from the off.

I arranged plenty of friendlies in an attempt to get fitness up for the forthcoming season, and the team appeared to be much stronger than last year.

League Part 1:

We started the league with a convincing 3-0 victory, and I thought it was a sign of things to come. I had set out in my mind my tactics for every possibility….. Turns out my tactics were very wrong, and in the following 7 games we didn’t record another victory. We dropped down to 13th position, and the board called me in for the meeting. 5 games to get 11 points. Something I thought I had no chance of achieving. I had a drastic rethink of tactics, and set out to try and keep my job. The five games went as follows…. LWWWX…… 10 points, up to 8th in the league and sacked. A bit harsh I thought. Fuck them.

[Image: 25330382437_c0b67bef49_z.jpg]

League Part 2:

Yet again I wasn’t out of work for long. A position became available at Bodens BK in the Swedish 2nd North, and after being interviewed I was promptly offered the job. I was initially offered a two year contract, but I was hesitant after my previous few employments. I decided to sign a contract until the end of the season to see how I got on.

When I joined we were sitting in 6th position with a board expectation of finishing in the top half. I’ve no idea what the previous manager had done to piss the board off to lose his job.

The team was a little sparse, but what players we had looked decent enough. One of the great things about playing the game as realistically as possible is sometimes you just stumble on to something good. In trying to save my job at Assyriska I found a tactic that appeared to work for a few games, so I decided to stick with it.

It paid off.

Of the following 14 matches played we W11 D2 L1 which included two cup games against much stronger opposition, and puts us in to group stages early next year.

The players I had performed admirably, and although I brought in 3 backup players there really was no need.

[Image: 25330382917_ec79052d80_z.jpg]

End of Season thoughts:

I signed a new year long contract extension, but I’m still not entirely sure if that was a good idea. Our star WB is refusing to stay on with the club, and he was a top performer for me. Also any players I am interested in have “no intention of joining the club at this time”. It makes me wonder whether I will have a repeat performance of Assyriska.

11-02-2018, 02:48 PM
Great start and restart to the career Al! Hopefully your new found tictac will continue to work, and your WB decides to stick with you for at least one more year.
11-02-2018, 05:33 PM
Really good start there. Hopefully you can keep things going!
(15-02-2018, 10:50 PM)Rodderas Wrote: Maybe this upset the team? Fucked if I know.

[Image: Ln8uvbH.png]
12-02-2018, 10:21 AM
Cheers! I have the week off work, and the snow is keeping me off my road bike. I might manage another season at this rate.

12-02-2018, 10:48 AM
Nice restart!

What you don't cycle in snow!?!? You know there are winter tires for bikes Wink

Good for FM tho Mrgreen
13-02-2018, 10:36 AM
Snowed again this morning.... Not bad though... I hope to head out on my bike at around 12.... Couple of hours for FM

13-02-2018, 01:46 PM
I tried an amateur club in Denmark myself a while back but found it almost impossible as half my team left as soon as they got a better opportunity somewhere else. It was a disaster I gave up on quickly!

Nice start in Sweden though! Hope you can get some good results eve with players abandoning ship.
-------------------------------
Currently mismanaging: Newington Youth
Previous saves: 
The Quest for Working Undersoil Heating
What I Learned at the JD Academy

14-02-2018, 07:15 PM
Well I'm glad I'm not alone.... Sweden has proved equally as difficult to be honest!

15-02-2018, 10:50 PM
Season 4:

Swedish Cup Group stages:

Being the weakest team in the group I didn’t really feel like we had much to offer, and I could have done without the morale crushing games before the league started. I set off with the same mentality as last year, and although we drew our first game we lost the subsequent two. That was that then.

Pre-Season:

We played reasonably well in the friendly games that I arranged, but we were far from superb. The team just didn’t seem up for it at all. We had a bid from Syrianska for one of our promising ST. They offered a whopping £7.5k with 20% of future profits. I felt that he was probably better off in a bigger club, and decided the right thing to do was to let him flourish. Maybe this upset the team? Fucked if I know.

League:

We started the season with a nice comfortable win, followed by two draws…. Then a loss. Game 5 we drew again, and to my dismay the board called me in for a word. I wasn’t happy. I don’t think that’s a bad start. Not what I’d hoped for, but it could have been worse.

We lost the following game 4 – 0. I had to take a deep breath, and try not to lose the plot entirely. Game 7 was a sketchy 1 – 0 victory. Game 8 we lost 4 – 1. I threw my toys out of the pram and decided to resign. I felt I’d clearly lost the dressing room, and I’m certain I would have been sacked sooner rather than later.

[Image: 40243307332_58454110a2_z.jpg]

In hindsight I wish I’d have stayed on for the sacking because the jobs were few and far between. The only job interviews I received for the rest of the season were Swedish 2nd Division clubs that were worse than Bodens BK, so I declined them.

Season 5:

It wasn’t until the start of 2018 that I was offered a job that I was willing to accept. A much worse team for sure. Kolstad in Norway had just been promoted into the Second Division Group 4.

They had no staff, and 6 non contracted players. A lot of work was needed if we had any hope of meeting the board’s expectations of avoiding relegation.

Pre-Season:

I set out hiring all my staff initially. I wouldn’t have a hope in hell without at least a scout to flesh the team out. I brought in 11 players in total. I also signed the six non-contacted players to proper contracts.  I also let one player go he looked awful…. The fans were not happy…. Which baffled me as he’d never player a game.

We didn’t play well in the friendlies that I arranged, but I can’t say that I was that surprised. Hopefully the league would see some improvement.

League Part 1:

I really didn’t know what to expect. We were predicted to finish 14th, and given my first few attempt at survival it all seemed a little grim. To my surprise we were not the league whipping boys, and played very well at times.

Norwegian Cup:

We were knocked out in the first round against similar opposition. I was slightly disappointed, but my main objective was always to avoid relegation.

League Part 2:

Midway through the season the board offered a change in expectations, but I was reluctant to offer anything more than safety.

The squad was weak in depth and this really showed as the season progressed. I very often fielded odd formations, and we suffered for it on occasion. Although I did sign another player (who turned out to be proper shit) it made little impact.

We plodded on, never actually falling in to the relegation places, and the league was so tight that we found ourselves bouncing between 4th and 10th.

I feel like mid-table obscurity was fair reflection of the year we had.

[Image: 25417100717_aa45429f84_z.jpg]

End of Season thoughts:

I’m happy with how we ended up, but I found it really stressful league to play in. I honestly can’t say I have any idea on whether next year will be any different.

15-02-2018, 11:08 PM
Welcome to Norway Smile Good job keeping a newly promoted team up! Do you think your scouts can dig up some solid depth players (or maybe even a starter or two) before the next season? Or are you considering moving on to a less stressful league/club?
Previous saves: 

15-02-2018, 11:16 PM
Thanks Ole, I've actually found it a very interesting country to manage in so far. I'll be staying put for at least the next season (assuming I don't get sacked!), and to be honest I'd like to manage in the higher leagues of Norway. I'm just not sure I'll get Kolstad there. As for the scouts finding anything worthwhile.... I can only hope. I think it's going to be another tough year regardless.

16-02-2018, 01:34 PM
Well, ever since they expanded to 16 teams in the top tier (when they should've decreased the number of teams from 14 to 12...) all kinds of small, barely professional teams have made it into the Premiership. Kolstad can be one of those! Mrgreen
Previous saves: 

17-02-2018, 11:38 AM (This post was last modified: 17-02-2018, 11:41 AM by Dexander.)
In Finland we have the same problem in football as well in icehockey. Too many teams in top tier.

Ot Sorry
20-02-2018, 12:32 PM
Mid table mediocrity is fine in the circumstances! Kutgw.
Currently managing: Kazincbarcika Sports Club, Hungarian Division II
20-02-2018, 11:52 PM
Cheers Dave!

22-02-2018, 02:18 PM (This post was last modified: 22-02-2018, 02:20 PM by Rodderas.)
Season 6:

Onwards and upwards....

Preseason:

I set about trying to strengthen the squad to improve on last season's performance. My scout had been showing me reports of quite a few players that looked like they would fit the bill, and in total I brought in 7 Players that all went in to the first team. To balance things up 7 players left the club. They were essentially the weakest performers from last year.

Our friendly games went well, but with all the new faces I was uncertain as to how the team would actually perform in a competitive environment.

League Part 1:

We started well, really well! Within a couple of games, we went to the top of the league. Setting the club's unbeaten record in the process. I was quite surprised, but ultimately just pleased not to be scrabbling about in the bottom half of the league.

Norwegian Cup:

I didn't have much interest in the cup, and clearly the players didn't either. We were knocked out in the first round by weaker opposition.

League Part 2:

I really had no belief that the team could make the top spot their own, and although we continued to play well the losses crept in. With 10 games to go we slipped off the top spot and over the coming games down to as low as sixth. I wasn't worried, my objective agreed with the board was to avoid relegation again, and that clearly was going to happen.

To my surprise our formed turned around again, and we went on another unbeaten run to finish the season. It all boiled down to the final game. We were in second, having a joint point total with Tromsdalen. They had two goal advantage, and Alta also had the potential to take the top spot. For us to take the league realistically we needed to win, and preferably win big. I needn't have worried. We won 3 – 1. Tromsdalen lost, and we were crowned champions!

[Image: 39523048055_042c5a1814_z.jpg]

Post Season Thoughts:

A surprise to be sure, but a nice one. Do I fancy our chances in the first division? If we play well I don't see why we can't avoid the drop.

The club has had to improve the stadium, so we will be starting the season sharing with Rosenborg. Only for a couple of games however. A loan has also been taken out to pay for all this.

At present thing are looking good for the future. No doubt I'll get the sack next week.

22-02-2018, 02:54 PM
Great stuff! I hope the extra expenses don't kill your finances. Good luck in the First Division!
22-02-2018, 07:15 PM
Well done, fantastic season there Smile hope you can survive!
(15-02-2018, 10:50 PM)Rodderas Wrote: Maybe this upset the team? Fucked if I know.

[Image: Ln8uvbH.png]
22-02-2018, 08:43 PM
Wow, that came out of nowhere! What an achievement! Looking forward to seeing how you do in the division above. KUTGW!
Previous saves: 

23-02-2018, 06:21 AM
Just great just great!

KUTGW!