Cars
17-01-2018, 07:19 PM
I've had my Mini for three years in April and it'll be paid off next month so I'm looking at upgrading, but I'm not sure what to go for. 

I want something that's got good MPG for the motorway but that doesn't fall off a cliff on shorter journeys, a little more powerful than a Mini but that's not something I'm overly arsed about and something that's of decent size for 4-5 people. Obviously you can fit 4 in a Mini but still. The main thing is good fuel economy.

I guess something along the lines of a Mondeo or a Passat. Anyone on here know much about cars? because I haven't a fucking Scooby.
(15-02-2018, 10:50 PM)Rodderas Wrote: Maybe this upset the team? Fucked if I know.

[Image: Ln8uvbH.png]
17-01-2018, 08:53 PM
I have a Renault Captur, MPG is really good. I'm driving up to Solihull and back every day (170 mile round trip) and I get about 57MPG. It also has eco mode, which would probably give me a bit more, but the performance is compromised, most noticeable when going uphill or trying to accelerate.

Also, take a look at the Citroen C4 Cactus, the headline MPG figure is a little better than the Captur. I was torn between the 2 when I got mine.
WAWAW

[Image: signature.php?uid=14]

17-01-2018, 10:49 PM
I really like the look of the Renault, not a massive fan of Citroens and that one doesn't look quite as nice to me. Been looking at a few Insignias tonight online, one of the sales reps at work had one from the company before it had to go back when he went semi retired and he absolutely raved over it, and the diesels in particular are meant to be fantastic for fuel.
(15-02-2018, 10:50 PM)Rodderas Wrote: Maybe this upset the team? Fucked if I know.

17-01-2018, 10:54 PM
For fuel economy, it has to be either a diesel, or a hybrid. Or you can go fully electric of course, provided you have a driveway/can park close enough to your house to charge it and don't need to do too many miles each day.

I love my Captur, it's really nice to drive as well. Would have preferred the Kadjar, but my budget couldn't extend to it at the time unfortunately.
WAWAW

[Image: signature.php?uid=14]

17-01-2018, 11:11 PM
I wouldn't even consider electric, just isn't convenient at the moment. I was having that discussion at work today.

I'll have a closer look at the Captur though. I've narrowed my search down to that, an Insignia (seems to be a lot of these at an affordable price and very close to me) and a Mondeo I think. I can get £1000-1500 for my Mini according to online valuations which would be a decent chunk towards a deposit at least, or potentially something outright if I find the right slightly older model.

18-01-2018, 03:10 AM
Passat, but I could be a bit biased . . . (I have 4 VWs in our family fleet).

Diesel is great for fuel economy (my VW Caddy Life TDI 7 seater people mover gets 6.3 L/100km in real-life fuel consumption), just do not breathe in the exhaust . . . my Caddy is a Diesel-gate Confused
Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since Football Manager on Commodore 64!

GNU Terry Pratchett
18-01-2018, 06:55 AM (This post was last modified: 18-01-2018, 06:56 AM by Dexander.)
I got Mondeo Wagon 2.0L Ecoboost AT (2012), but it is petrol. Earlier I got diesel Volvo V70 D3 (2011), 6,0-6,5 L/100km. But I don't drive that much anymore and here we got high taxes, so it's bit cheaper for me to drive on petrol.

Mondeo it's bigger than Volvo which suprised me and it's has better and stiffer chassis so I love it when driving fast Smile And my in my petrol Mondeo has more raw power that helps overtake.

Diesel Mondeo goes for around 6.0L/100km.

I recommend to test drive Mondeo.
18-01-2018, 10:04 AM
The Ford Focus might be a bit cheaper than the Mondeo. Parts and labour are cheap as they're so common. And if you need the extra luggage space, the estate is massive.

We got ours for £3.5k for a 2011 model very recently. It's a 2 litre diesel, so it's plenty powerful. And it's quite economical to drive. In mixed use (urban/motorway) we tend to get about 5.5 L/100km. It's the Mk 3 model with stop/start and navigation and everything.

In general we've been happy with Ford Focuses, although the older models didn't use to have that much power.
18-01-2018, 11:25 AM
Keep away from the Ford Focus with the PowerShift is a six-speed dual clutch semi-automatic gearbox.

They have a reputation for catastrophic failures like the VW 7-speed DSG DQ200 dry dual clutch gearbox. The original made in Germany DQ300 dual wet clutch 6-speed was very good, the DQ200 was a cheaper, made in China one that replaced the DQ300 on the lower priced models in 2010 and they have had issues . . .
Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since Football Manager on Commodore 64!

GNU Terry Pratchett
18-01-2018, 01:07 PM
Any chance it was only an issue with some of the Mk 2 Focus models anyway?
18-01-2018, 01:27 PM
70,000 Ford cars here in Aus affected (2010-2016), ACCC (aka Department of Fair Trading) has taken Ford to court to help owners get repairs and replacements.

GNU Terry Pratchett
18-01-2018, 01:44 PM
I wouldn't drive anything other than a manual.

I drove a company car to the shops once (the company provide tea etc for everyone but I'm the poor bastard that has to go buy it out of petty cash and we can't use our own cars for insurance reasons) and I almost went through the front windscreen. Coming back to the office, I'm that used to putting my foot on the clutch (which you obviously have to put to the floor) to change gear to pull into the car park, I inadvertently slammed on the brakes. Lol

Came away from it fine but the bottle of milk on the seat next to me didn't fare so well...

Also this morning I've seen a Chevrolet Cruze I really like the look of, which has given me something else to think about... anybody got any experience with these? a guy at work says Chevrolet is really good quality, but like I said I haven't a fucking clue.

18-01-2018, 01:56 PM
(18-01-2018, 01:44 PM)JD95 aka Fidsy Jr. Wrote: Chevrolet is really good quality, but like I said I haven't a fucking clue.

A bit like your FM skills   Tongue
18-01-2018, 02:44 PM
Mrgreen

18-01-2018, 02:45 PM
Slamming the brakes in an automatic. Been there, done that!
18-01-2018, 08:31 PM (This post was last modified: 18-01-2018, 08:31 PM by JD95 aka Fidsy Jr..)
Something else I've been thinking about... what's the best way to sell privately online? I've been looking at a few cars similar to mine and they're all (as I'd expect) dearer than what I've been offered, and mine has what I'd consider a big selling point of a pretty low mileage for a now 12 year old car.

19-01-2018, 03:39 AM
Manual Thup

The Chevy Cruze should be a decent car. The original version was a rebadged Daewoo but the new 2nd gen version is based on the Opel designed platform. Germans may not know how to win a war but they do know how to design and build cars.

GNU Terry Pratchett
19-01-2018, 06:07 AM
Automatic Smile been driving with it since 2010 and never changing back to manual.

It has more pros than cons IMHO...
19-01-2018, 10:03 AM
(18-01-2018, 08:31 PM)JD95 aka Fidsy Jr. Wrote: Something else I've been thinking about... what's the best way to sell privately online? I've been looking at a few cars similar to mine and they're all (as I'd expect) dearer than what I've been offered, and mine has what I'd consider a big selling point of a pretty low mileage for a now 12 year old car.

Gumtree and your local facebook groups are good places to start. Ebay charges for car ads, so only use that if you don't get anyone interested and need the extra exposure.
19-01-2018, 07:19 PM
Yeah I had a look at eBay but I'm not paying if I can do it free. Lol

Did an online evaluation (not one of these car buying things, from a proper thing that I forget the name of) and I can expect to get around £2500 for it apparently if I sell privately. So that'll be a nice chunk towards something new, if I get anywhere over £2k.