Football The Official Premiership Thread
17-03-2013, 07:12 PM
Fuck me, that's every bit as bad as they made it sound.

I know he wasn't sent off but I'll astonished if the FA don't review it and ban him.
17-03-2013, 07:24 PM
Yeah, it sounds as though there was a hand ball in the build up to the second goal too. Fucking referees and their "assistants".
17-03-2013, 09:15 PM
Can I just say well done Fulham on their result today Smile
17-03-2013, 11:21 PM
Yes, well played Fulham, Arsenal supporters everywhere salute you!
Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since Football Manager on Commodore 64!

18-03-2013, 07:10 PM
[url=http://lowerleaguemanager.com/forum][/url]
18-03-2013, 07:36 PM
Mrgreen

19-03-2013, 09:16 AM
Mrgreen
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Currently Managing:
CF Reus Deportiu
19-03-2013, 10:00 AM
That's a brilliant find, Darko Mrgreen
19-03-2013, 10:50 AM
Bahahahahshahahaha...
Currently managing: CS Concordia Chiajna, Romanian Liga I
19-03-2013, 02:42 PM
Yeah, he is funny Smile
19-03-2013, 03:10 PM

19-03-2013, 05:31 PM

The ultimate example of wasted talent / unlucky injuries / being a bit of a dick.

A warning to all would-be superstar footballers.
19-03-2013, 07:18 PM

Erm....I think you've forgotten about Paul Gascoigne. Mrgreen

Tbf to Owen, he still achieved a lot. He's England's 4th highest goalscorer ffs.

Because he hit the highs so young, he achieved more than most do in a career by the age of 26......the shame though is that it didn't keep going for him.

You have yo ask to question about too much too young....did he just burn out. I mean, look at the troubles Rooney has these days as well. He's hardly the player he was in 04, 05, 06 when he had the hunger. Now he's just fat and lazy.
19-03-2013, 08:24 PM (This post was last modified: 19-03-2013, 08:26 PM by bennytee.)

Erm....I think you've forgotten about Paul Gascoigne. Mrgreen

Tbf to Owen, he still achieved a lot. He's England's 4th highest goalscorer ffs.

Because he hit the highs so young, he achieved more than most do in a career by the age of 26......the shame though is that it didn't keep going for him.

You have yo ask to question about too much too young....did he just burn out. I mean, look at the troubles Rooney has these days as well. He's hardly the player he was in 04, 05, 06 when he had the hunger. Now he's just fat and lazy.
[/quote]

Yeah, you're right about that, was in a bit of a mood when I posted that earlier Blush

How quickly we (I) forget I suppose.

Quote:Given the chance, many of us would probably love to return to the heady, happy innocence of 2001. Back then, Britons were so ready to look on the bright side that they considered a cover version of Mambo No5 by Bob the Builder such a good idea the single zipped straight to No1. The biggest-selling song of the year was Shaggy's It Wasn't Me. Bridget Jones' Diary was in the cinemas. The Office got its TV debut. In 2001, everything was funny. [The Fiver wasn't - Fiver Ed.]

And Michael Owen was great. Liverpool won three trophies – the least good treble, but a treble all the same – with Owen scoring a stunning brace as Arsenal were mugged in the FA Cup final. The following year he captained England at the age of 22 – of all players since 1900 only one, a certain Bobby Moore, got the armband sooner, and that by only a couple of months. Happy days. Good times.

If you could identify a precise moment when our world changed for the worse, what would it be? Sure, the textbooks will talk about the collapse of Lehman Brothers, the run on Northern Rock, the bailout. But the property market, at least in the US, peaked in June 2006. From that moment, widespread financial ruin in the west was inevitable. On 20 June 2006, Michael Owen collapsed in the first few minutes of England's World Cup tie against Sweden.

In that match Owen won his 80th cap. He was 26, and had scored 36 international goals. Bobby Charlton's record was just 13 strikes away. Until that knee buckled he was certain to become the greatest goalscorer the country had ever seen – a hero, a legend. After it recovered he would win nine more caps, the last of them five years ago next Tuesday, and totally change the way he is perceived, from expert goal-poacher to callous wage-thief.

So farewell then, Michael Owen. When life was good for you, life was good for us. Whatever it is you choose to do next, the Fiver, for one, hopes it goes well.
19-03-2013, 08:24 PM
I think Owen is an example of a player that never achieved his full potential after exploding onto the scene. The countless hamstring injuries no doubt contributed to this.

Since returning to England from Madrid he has only been a bit part player unfortunately warming benches. If he can't get regular starts at Stoke he is better off retiring.

Certainly he is not short of a bob or two.
19-03-2013, 09:21 PM
Absolutely love Michael Owen, so much so, my son is named Owen in his honour. I was absolutely gutted in the match against Sweden when his knee went and I knew from then on he was only ever going to be a shadow of his former self. For me he was a consummate professional, I can't remember him ever being in the paper for the wrong reasons, unlike some other 'pros'.

19-03-2013, 09:56 PM
Agreed - the guy's a legend. People shouldn't let the injuries in later years cloud their judgement.

Also - I CANNOT believe the FA aren't doing anything about McManaman's tackle. What a fucking joke.
19-03-2013, 10:43 PM
Owen. I want to write something bland and blase about a player who was always England pin up boy, and that rankled with The Kop.

But he WAS LFC for a few years. I remember going to Newcastle the year he scored his hat-trick (cue hand rubbing) and just bein blown away by this force of nature that existed to score goals and burn past people. The song that day 'We all agree, Owen's better than shearer' and he bloody well was at that point.

Having said that, he never really got the song to anoint his coronation (the stacato of Dalglish was saved for Robbie, The Torres and Suarez style 'songs' were yet to be really coined, Rushie still had the 'Gets the balls, scores a goal) and this kind of represented the fact that he was the best goalscorer at the club for many seasons before and after, but never really an icon.

Strange but I never really felt the loss as keenly as say Rush (1st time) Aldridge, Fowler, McManaman, Torres etc. A pretty devisive character, I think dependent on your ClubEngland affiliation.
100 years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like; but the world may be a little better because I was important in the life of a child.
19-03-2013, 11:54 PM (This post was last modified: 19-03-2013, 11:55 PM by keefa.)

I agree with you there, that is an abysmal decision. Even Mark Halsey has apologised for missing it and admitted he would have sent him off had he seen the challenge. Oh yes, an "assistant" saw the challenge but didn't have the stones or ladyparts to tell the referee he's missed something, and should perhaps stop the game to have a chat, so that's the end of that.

The FA are still a bunch of absolute cunts.

EDIT: Another point to take a lead from Rugby Union - cite players if they've been caught on camera doing something against the rules, for fucks fucking sake, you fucking antiquated dipshits.
20-03-2013, 12:54 AM
Don't sweat it, just grab the FA Board Members one night take them into a alley and beat their kneecaps with a baseball bat. When you get charged for assault use the defence that because the police did not see the incident then you are not guilty, even if they have CCTV footage of the incident.
Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since Football Manager on Commodore 64!