Rugby The Rugby UNION Thread
24-06-2012, 10:17 AM
I am never sure what purpose these end of season international tours serve. Always ends up with the same result the Northern Hemisphere nations getting well pummelled!

I saw on TV last week that Bath players are already in pre-season training for next season! Is Rugby Union a 12 month sport now these days? Unbelievable.
24-06-2012, 10:33 AM
Yeah, they are professionals rugby players now-a-days, as opposed to professionals who played rugby as it was in the past.
Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since Football Manager on Commodore 64!

GNU Terry Pratchett
24-06-2012, 10:53 AM
Exactly, Kin. Why should professional rugby be any different to professional football, cricket, tennis etc.?
24-06-2012, 11:24 AM
No reason for them to be different, just noting why rugby is now a 12 month sport.
Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since Football Manager on Commodore 64!

GNU Terry Pratchett
24-06-2012, 11:26 AM
I know, I was agreeing with you Wink
24-06-2012, 11:41 AM
So we are agreeing with each other robustly then Mrgreen

GNU Terry Pratchett
06-07-2012, 08:05 PM
Some interesting new amendments to the IRB laws, particularly with regards to rucks and scrums.

Rucks now have to be cleared within 5 seconds of the ball being won, and scrums will SET rather than PAUSE/ENGAGE.

Should speed things up considerably and make watching games a lot more entertaining.

07-07-2012, 01:21 AM
David Campese has had a bit of a hissy fit about it all, saying its no longer the game he played etc.
Currently managing: Kazincbarcika Sports Club, Hungarian Division II
07-07-2012, 02:08 AM
Um. Has he been asleep for 10 years? He was part of the amateur era (even though he was actually professional when no-one was supposed to be), so of course it isn't. There have been many law changes since he retired. Not to mention that the law changes encourage the style of play he did play, and have been implemented precisely to counter the very things he's criticised about the modern era of professionalism, i.e. boring, risk-free rugby.

Quote:He is best remembered by many as from being part of an era when it was acceptable to try things and take risks. With highly structured game plans and so much at stake in the professional game, risk taking became less common after his retirement. It is ironic as he was the highest profile of the Australian players who won the 1991 World Cup. The upsurge in interest in Australia in rugby union can also be attributed to him in a large part and therefore perhaps helped create the professionalism which does not favour the style he liked to play.

Or does he think the law changes won't have that effect and will take it even further away? Well, they're trial changes, so we'll see how they play out over the next season and we'll be able to judge for ourselves.

07-07-2012, 02:15 AM
Yeah, while he's a legend and all he does fall into the 'whingeing bastard' category a fair bit.

I quite like the way much modern rugby is played - in the UK I really liked Ireland, Wales, France and the way they went about things. Down under it's a bit different, I like the Aussie's style of play when they get their shit together - but unfortunately that happens less than I'd like and there's a bit too much reliance on one or two big name charlies. Give me the TEAM that John Eales had any day.

I don't really like rolling mauls very much, and I find that many international teams execute throws extremely badly these days (again, something Australia used to be VERY good at). It also frustrates me when people don't play through all the phases that they possibly could and kick after just 2 or 3 tackles. England used to do this a fair bit, others still do, and it ruins the spectacle a bit really. Give me well flighted passes and cracking runs any day of the week, not to mention kicks that find the side just perfectly to give a line out just metres from the line.
10-09-2012, 05:17 AM
So the weekend game proves that we are better than the Saffers but still light-years behind the All Blacks Cry

GNU Terry Pratchett
10-11-2012, 07:31 PM
22 years ago I started playing for the colts in Redditch at the age of 11. 1 week short of 22 years later I received my first ever red card today. To be fair I deserved it, I told the ref to f**k off and then told him 'with all due respect, you're a c**t'

Should never have done it but the red mist descended after yet another awful decision at the breakdown. I got clobbered sideways whilst bridging to pick up at the ruck, got knocked sideways, so surely the player must have joined from the side? Somehow I get pinged, and I lost it.

Ashamed.
100 years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like; but the world may be a little better because I was important in the life of a child.
10-11-2012, 11:05 PM
Just learn from the experience mate . . .

Next time you go up to the ref and say "Excuse me Sir, can I get carded for what I think?"

Ref: "No"

BillyMac: "Well, with all due respect Sir, I think that you are a f**kin' c**t"

Mrgreen

GNU Terry Pratchett
10-11-2012, 11:22 PM
Mrgreen Thanks mate, I'm pretty down about it really, but you put a smile on my furry chops there Thup
100 years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like; but the world may be a little better because I was important in the life of a child.
10-11-2012, 11:28 PM
No problems, that is what mates are for Thup

GNU Terry Pratchett
10-11-2012, 11:34 PM
MadMadMadMadMadMadMadMad

Friends
17-11-2012, 03:07 PM
Can anyone explain what the fuck has happened to Wales?

No? Nor me. Shrug

Not looking forward to the All Blacks the way we're playing, that's for sure. I foresee a right hammering if we don't step up something drastic.

17-11-2012, 03:16 PM
I can, it's typical Wales!
17-11-2012, 03:52 PM
Much as it pains me, it's hard to disagree.

18-11-2012, 02:59 AM
Been reading that aussies will get something in excess of $40,000 each when they return from their four test European series.

That's a fucking joke.

We're better paid than the world champs and we are fifth in the rankings. No wonder you can question their desire!